Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with neglected Dragonfruit

Posted by mbrowne 9b Central CA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 17:24

I'm about to plant a badly neglected Halley's Comet, and would appreciate any info on what is wrong with it and if it should get any special care to fix it. Here are a few shots:

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with neglected Dragonfruit

The plant looks a little sun-burned to me. Although these are cacti, they don't like blistering sun. In Central CA you might need to provide a little protection from the hottest summer sun (not to mention the cold winter).

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 1:41

The red dots are most likely sunburn. Most likely your DF is weak because it's in a pot. Plant it in the ground, and it will be much stronger. I'm in Bakersfield, and none of my DF are protected. They get some sun spots, but they survive fine in the hot and cold months. What part of central CA are you located?

o

Thanks for the repllies. I've got it in the ground now, with an untreated stake for support. We'll see if it starts to look better... I guess it can take a bit more water than a desert cactus? I'm in Fresno, and as you know Winter is rainy season. I shouldn't have to worry about frost or cold temps.

o

Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 19:27

Rain is fine, as long as the water drains away.

o

newgen, do you get temperatures below freezing in your garden? I want to plant dragonfruit in my garden here in Greece and we do get down to 28 degrees a few times every winter. From your experience do you think pitayas will be able to survive this kind of cold weather?

Thanks in advance,
Nik

o

Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 0:52

Nik,

I haven't any day when it's 28. There were maybe a few hours, very rare though, of 30. I believe that if the plant is in ground, with strong root system, it will survive. It will not survive if it's young, or in a container.

o

Thanks for the info and the advice newgen.

Nik

o

Wow! I'm sure I never dreamed of "Corfu" and "28" in the same sentence!

A little overhead protection might go a long way to fending off the cold--planting against the south side of a house, under eaves, etc. Lacking that, a blanket for the chilly nights!

o

Steve, I'll probably end up doing what you suggest but in a couple of years, when my plants are big and strong. Now they are in their 'infancy' and I'll keep them in my protected balcony. However, when they grow up they will be difficult to keep them in because they are thorny; that's when I'll move the plants in a south-facing wall in my garden, keep them potted, and try to cover them in the coldest winter nights. It might work...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here