Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dragon fruit cuttings at lowes, homedepot etc

Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 17:41

I have read that these little cactus sold at Lowes, Homedepot and even walmart are in fact Dragon fruit. Anyone know if that is true? I can buy them all day for about $3
 photo lego_zpse7343e36.jpg

would it be worth buying a few and removing the tops to grow out the dragon fruit.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dragon fruit cuttings at lowes, homedepot etc

It is true that the lower portion is of the same family but that does not mean the fruit would be good. You also would not know if it is self-fertile or requires another variety for pollination.

Named cuttings are fairly inexpensive and readily available on-line or from others who are growing the plants (which grow like weeds in favorable conditions). A better bet, IMHO.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 17:28

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that would be the case. I will save my $3.

Mike

o

Those aren't dragonfruit. I have around 15-20 df varieties at home. We can arrange a trade, just message me

o

The stock for the small "Grafted Moon Cactus" which are sold by those retailers is indeed Hylocereus. I've done exactly what you indended and while the stock may look strange, new growth is obviously Hylocereus.

That said, I agree that it is likely not self-pollinating and also would have garbage-quality fruit. I think its also a pretty safe bet that nearly all in not all of the Hylo stocks are undates, because its the most widely available/cheapest and whoever produces these grafted specimens probably isn't going to spring for a costaricensis or megalanthus.

The Hylocereus they sell once degrafted take FOREVER to recover and begin pupping, as the roots are totally overgrown for those pots and are all tangled up and compressed, which I assume is intentional and so that they are less likely to throw out random tendrils.
Definitely would recommend using that $3 instead as a chunk of your purchase of a named cutting. Some of my favorites are American Beauty, Physical Graffiti, and Halley's Comet, which are all very easily found. (I'm dying to try a Cosmic Charlie on that note, apparently also has awesome flavor)

o

The moon cactus is made by Hylocereus Ocamposis variety (I have this variety). Probably by other Halocereus as well. H. Ocamposis is not a self sterile, so it need a pollinator. If you have a good pollinator, it's fruit will be very good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here