Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natsgarden123

weevils

NatsGarden123
12 years ago

There are little notcher weevils all over my yard. There are very large acacia trees which are infested and its impossible to treat those trees ( I think). Also, my neighbors have very many fruit trees..and they wont treat their yard. My mango trees, Carrie, Mallika and Valencia Pride, seem to be ok ( I sprayed them with Seven and I put Imaclopramid in the soil.) But the litchi is really eaten. All my trees are young Is there any hope here? PS, who is Harry?

Comments (13)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Potter? or our Harry, owner of THE backyard fruit oasis?

Tim

• squam256
    12 years ago

If you grow fruit trees....you will know Harry.

Be prepared to make your pilgrimage. Its one of the sacred rites of the quasi-religion known as tropical fruit :)

There's another thread on this further down about the weevil problem that you'd be interested to read. For well established trees the damage is mostly cosmetic but if they're wiping you out and you need to get rid of them then sevin should do the trick.

For some reason they really love lychees....but then again who doesn't.

• NatsGarden123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, where is the Harry Backyard Fruit Oasis? ( by the way, my son's name is Harry...) I read the thread about the weevil problem but its confusing. Some of you say that its a cosmetic problem and others say that its a root type weevil..

• squam256
    12 years ago

Its a root weevil in that the grubs feed on roots (especially of nearby grasses), but the grubs mature into beatle-type bugs that chew on the leaves of trees as adults.

On a large tree the damage is mostly 'cosmetic' because the weevils can't typically eat all the leaves and just make a lot of them look 'marred', but it doesn't have the kind of impact on the tree's ability to undergo photosynthesis like the damage could do on a small tree with significantly less leaves.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

You can try beneficial nematodes to take care of the weevils and other soil pests. I used them when they were attacking my jujube tree and it worked. Scroll down to the 'Pests Attacked' section of the link I attached. There are other species that also attack other pests. It is much better for the environment than using strong pesticides such as sevin and imidacloprid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficial Nematodes

• NatsGarden123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info..the nematodes sound interesting. How soon after the soil pesticide can I apply them? It looks like it going to rain here in west palm a lot this weekend ; would that affect the application? I lived in another home and had the same issue (about 5yo..it broke my heart to leave 25 fruit trees from excaliber. At the time, richard told me that the only thing that would be effective on weevils would be orthene..I didn't want to go that route. I would really like to get this under control before my next excalibur trip

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

OK. My mom swears by milky spore (an organic method of controlling grubs), but I've been too much of a skeptic to try it. Definitely worth a try though.

Jeff

• NatsGarden123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to try the nematodes for the fruit trees. The large acacias I am going to treat with imaclopramid....just maybe I can rid my yard of those white little weevils...ill post later about how it all works. Thanks for the help :)

• murahilin
    12 years ago

NatsGarden123,
    I am not sure how soon after the pesticide that you can apply them. It would probably have to be after it wears off somewhat. It is actually much better for the nematodes if it is raining. I spend my afternoon applying two different species of the beneficial nematodes to my mom's new lawn tonight and the rain helped it. The nematodes are able to travel through the soil to their prey much better if it is moist. You should apply the nematodes at least once a year. Its best to apply them when it is not too hot such as Spring or Fall.

• hungryslimer
    10 years ago

hey there all.well sadly alphonso mango season is finished and the uk is dry till next year. all that remains of the debauchery is a load of pips. ive got a nice warm conservatory and figured id grow a mango for decoration more than anything.so im opening the pips to get the seeds out and into bags of moist compost when i find this in one of the seeds.not so sure what it is but its made a nice home in the seed and its alive though not fully developed.will try keep it alive though im sure ive got no chance now the seed is in the open.it'll probs die as soon as it realizes bristol in is a long way from home.im guessing its a mango weevil. are these dangerous to agriculture in the uk or would they not survive?

• hungryslimer
    10 years ago

hey there all.well sadly alphonso mango season is finished and the uk is dry till next year. all that remains of the debauchery is a load of pips. ive got a nice warm conservatory and figured id grow a mango for decoration more than anything.so im opening the pips to get the seeds out and into bags of moist compost when i find this in one of the seeds.not so sure what it is but its made a nice home in the seed and its alive though not fully developed.will try keep it alive though im sure ive got no chance now the seed is in the open.it'll probs die as soon as it realizes bristol in is a long way from home.im guessing its a mango weevil. are these dangerous to agriculture in the uk or would they not survive?

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Hungryslimer, here's what that little critter in your pip.
    http://trumpetflowers.com/insects/how-to-control-garden-pests-organically.htm#weevils

Here is a link that might be useful: Pupae stage of weevils, 'Squares'

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Hungryslimer, here's what that little critter in your pip.
    http://trumpetflowers.com/insects/how-to-control-garden-pests-organically.htm#weevils

Here is a link that might be useful: Pupae stage of weevils, 'Squares'

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH