Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Hybrid Avocado Tree ('Holiday')

Posted by fangzz z8/9 n.w. fla (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 17:53

Please help.

Mail-ordered. Fruits in the fall/early winter (hence, 'Holiday'), according to the tag attached when received, lo these many years ago now!

This dwarf is now in the ground 4-5 years. Last two years, it has flowered like crazy in the Spring. Then the flowers all fall off. Very healthy, dark green glossy leaves. About 9-10 feet tall now. All of a sudden this summer, while we were away, what I will call a 'sucker' jumps out of the ground at the base, near the trunk, and has grown, in one season, mind you, 12-13 feet. Taller than anything else, and very straight. The rest of the tree is 'bushy' with limbs and leaves from ground level to the crown in a round sort of form.

Question: what is that thing? Could it be a 'revert' from the root stock? Bark is very light green and soft from ground to tip.

Please help. Gotta get some fruit offa this tree before I die!!! Drew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Hybrid Avocado Tree ('Holiday')

Thats the rootstalk. Remove it or it will start kill off the rest of the tree's foliage.
As far as the tree? Normal for Avocados to take 3-4 years of flowering and not one fruit...to then start by the 4-5 year or so. Helps if you have other Avocados in the hood...the more you have,the more fruit the tree will set.

o

Hand pollunation has been suggested ... below is printed from another part of this forum concerning 'container tropical fruit trees'.
(The referenced avocado flower is from a large Peru type avocado.)

"....flowering takes place during this defoliated stage which adds even more to the peculiarity of the tree. The leaf drop is due to the formation of buds (flower and/or vegetative) beneath the petiole juncture. They first appear as small knobby protuberances encased in a fuzzy brown sheath. As they grow this sheath splits and the new growth presents itself along with the flowers. The flowers are fairly unattractive but produced in abundance. They are about l" long, greenish-yellow in color and very fleshy, exuding a wonderfully fruity fragrance. Once you detect this aroma the one major problem of this is at hand: hand-pollination.
The flower is perfect, containing both stigmas and stamens (male and female reproductive organs) but herein lies the problem. The male is not ready when the female is - a botanical reversal of 'not to night, I have a headache' syndrome. She is usually ready the day before he is. That is, the pistils are receptive from 12 to 24 hours before the pollen is shed. There is a simple, though time consuming, remedy for this situation. Collect pollen from a male flower (the petals will be wide open) and place it in an empty 35mm film canister or a similar container. Next, find the receptive female. She'll be easy to spot because her petals will
only be partially opened. Spread the three thick petals carefully with one hand and with a pollen laden paint brush (which has been dipped in the canister) gently stroke back and forth across the receptive pistils. Voila! a baby cherimoya will be born! There really can be no mistake in choosing the correct flower because they are either closed tightly, partially opened or completely spread apart.
The success rate using this method is very high. Once fruit set is complete, maturation takes from five to ten months. During this time the tree will have adorned itself with new foliage and have become a very attractive member of the container orchard. The leaves are large, from 8" to 10" long, medium green on top with the brownish green underside exhibiting a velvety texture...."

o

• Posted by fangzz z8 n.w. fla (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 15:22

The tree described in the long post above is very UNLIKE my 'Holiday.' Mine never defoliates. Always has rich, healthy green leaves (looks alot like a Southern Magnolia leaf). Flowers in Spring. Thousands. Bees love 'em. Then they all fall off and in fall there is no fruit.

o

I have a dwarf hybrid from Lowe's purchased 5-6 yrs ago and has never given fruit. Tag says self fertile. Full of flowers again this year and seeing a few bees. Any hope for my tree to produce? I see some flowers turning yellow and falling off already. I am so disappointed again!! Tree is healthy with nice green leaves. The hand pollinating seems like so much work and I would not want to do that year after year. Any help would be appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here