Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free Cherimoya tree

Posted by fredsbog z5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 18:00

Hi all, I have a nice Cherimoya tree about 3 foot tall that I grew from a seed from an exceptionally nice fruit I got at the local grocer. the tree is nice but I have no idea what to do with it. I cannot grow it to maturity here in Cleveland, and I need the room for other things in the greenhouse (which was too cold for the tree's liking last winter). So here is the deal.

I will send this plant to anyone in the continental U.S. all I ask is that you cover the cost of shipping, and that there are no restrictions on this species going to your locale. I'll box it up nicely and ship it in pot (2 gallon).

There are a bunch for sale on ebay but that's too much of a hassle. It's yours for shipping, otherwise it will be left out to freeze this winter. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free Cherimoya tree

Just looking to buy one! I would be interested!

o

damn. right after buying two on ebay.

...and the good lord said: you shall overpay for your cherimoyas, and lo, I did.

o

Hello Coco,
LMAO...yikes! I saw those prices but was able to pick up two for less than $80.00 and they are both nice trees. One of them is actually a double grafted tree.
Andrew

o

Fredsbog,
How long did it take from the time you germinated the seed for it get 3 feet tall? I took 7 seeds I took from a fruit purchased at a local store.... I soaked them for 48 hours then put them in soil. I decided to put each seed in it's own individual cup and when I did I found every single seed has a tap root emerging. I am looking forward to you sharing your experience with your how long your seedling took to progress along the way to how tall it is now so I can know what to expect!!! Thanks.

o

marinfla, in SoCal, it takes about a year for seedlings to grow to around 3 feet tall, at least with what I have experienced for myself.

o

I have a sedling that I started last year that is now a little over a foot tall. I know it would have grown larger but I need to move it up a pot size first. They do grow very fast.
Andrew

o

I sowed seed in mid summer and the seedlings stayed pretty small through the first winter. In their second year they shot up to 3 feet, and now at the end of that year they look like they might be starting to branch.

o

In Socal cherimoyas grow like weed. You can get a grafted tree 4-5' tall for $20 in San Diego. Atemoya are less hardy but about the same price for a seedling - grafted go for about $30-35. Sugar Apples are a different story, although they thrive and fruit in our climate the fruit tends to fossilize by the time they mature because of the cold nights. You have to cover them with newspaper to protect them from the cold nights.

o

Hey Joe, where can I find these $20 atemoyas?

Tim

o

Tim,

They were $20 at Atkins Nursery last March. I bought my grafted African Pride at California tropical fruit trees in Vista, for $35. They have grafted Atemoya for $35 in GreenMart and Minosa Nursery in East LA.

o

Does Mimosa have named varieties of Cherimoyas also?

o

YES,

Mimosa Nursery Does have Named Varieties of Cherimoyas. I was there about 2 Months ago and they had them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here