Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mostro_gw

anthracnose control in mango trees

mostro
14 years ago

Hi everyone:

I posted this message on the Tropicals forum and I got no replies. I see that I should have posted it here instead, so here it goes:

I have two mango trees ('Toledo and 'BiscochueloÂ) and the heavy dews I get here from Oct to May really put major anthracnose stress on my trees. The

biscochuelo seems to be much more tolerant of the winter weather, but my Toledo definitely needs frequent copper spraying or it is defoliated by the fungus.

Question1: Is there an alternative fungicide that I could spray the tree with in the fall/winter that would provide longer lasting protection than the copper

sprays? Something systemic would be wonderful, but I am not sure this even exists...

Question2: Do mango trees grow more tolerant of anthracnose as they mature? I grew my trees from seed I got from Cuba about two years ago, so they are

relatively young still.

Thanx!

Comments (2)

• swrancher
    14 years ago

Are you up in Jacksonville? Assuming so you'll want to keep those trees potted so they can be brought inside on cold nights. I have never heard of Toledo or Biscochuelo Mangos, what are those varieties like?

My Mango tree's seem to be more resistant to anthracnose and other ailments as they get older...Although, I'm now real strict about spraying them on a periodic basis after having a problem on my first tree. I did not know that it needed to be sprayed to prevent any problems and lost a seasons worth of fruit.

I have been using Copper spray on my trees every other month or so with good results.

• mostro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello swrancher:
    Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I am up in Jacksonville, so the winter here is not so nice to mango trees. However, my trees are planted in the ground and I cover them whenever is needed to keep them from freezing. They are still small though... When they get larger, I plan to get a greenhouse that I can put up in the winter and remove in the spring... They are two years old and so far I have covered them only four times...

About the varieties, they are mangos from Santiago in Cuba. They are polyembrionic and reproduce true to type from seed. They are without question my favorite mangos. There is not a lot of info on the web about them though... Here is a small description I found for Toledo:

ÂToledo is an heirloom mango from Western Cuba that is still common in local markets throughout the island. The tree is dwarf by nature and can be maintained with a height and spread of less than 8 ft throughout its life. The fruit are small, averaging less than 6 oz. The skin is a speckled greenish-yellow with a slight orange-pink blush. The flesh is fibrous, but the flavor a rich, sweet experience - a true lowland mango experience. ÂToledo typifies the local
    Caribbean mango, abundant in season and always taken for granted, but when it comes to taste these cultivars may be the best kept secret. ÂToledo will hopefully always hold a place in the tradition and diversity that is Cuba, but just in case, it has a niche in your back yard.

Toledo is a wonderful mango that is hard to really appreciate if you have never had one. They are in fact small (both the fruit and the tree), but highly productive and reliable. This is for sure my favorite for eating out of hand.

Biscochuelo is the preferred mango of Santiago and probably the best mango in Cuba. Biscochuelo is virtually fiberless, larger (both tree and fruit), has an outstanding flavor and the flesh is firm and solid even when very ripe. People in Santiago eat biscochuelo when green, when part ripe, when ripe and when very ripe. It is truly never unpleasant to eat...

Well maintained Toledo trees can remain at about 8 ft high and wide and Biscochuelo trees at about 12 ft high and wide. They are probably the smallest mango varieties in Santiago, other types are extremely large treesÂ

Hopefully this gives you an idea. I am not sure you can buy these varieties in the U.S. from nurseries, but I have seen a couple of trees in Miami, so it does exist...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths