Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seagel

Advice on Carrie in a pot

seagel
9 years ago

Hello

I've been reading on this forum for some time now. Glad to be a part of it. So much useful information can be found by reading!

Anyways, I have 3 grafted Carrie trees purchased from my local nursery.

I will be asking about the first one I purchased back in July.

When I bought it, it was just a "stick" about 3ft tall. Immediately after purchasing it, I took it out of its 3 gallon "growers container" and put it in a plastic pot about 7 or 10 gallons. Since July, it has grown vertically maybe 6" and has developed 6 branches. Since then, it seems some leaves have fallen off and has developed what I believe is Anthracnose. I've only let the summer rains here in Orlando FL water it (practically every day for a couple hours).

When the rain has slowed/stopped since late September, I've watered it every other day or 3, (about a gallon at a time). Just started using a "time released" fertilizer from Lukas Nursery. Directions say pour about a cup per foot of the tree around the drip lines of the plant (which would be around the diameter of the pot). I recently took it back to the nursery to have it checked. Horticulture guy told me the trees condition was due to a lack of nutrient and possibly anthracnose. He gave me the fertilizer that's time releasing and some copper to spray.

My question to you guys is, is the tree at a healthy state? If not, what do you recommend I do in the next few months? Considering what the nursery gentleman told me, I would like other opinions.

I have my other two carries in the ground, that I planted last weekend. They look great.

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm