Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
queen palm fruit

Posted by jesusislord CA ,9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 19:13

Hi, does anybody know if the fruit of a queen palm is edible, or a good site that would give information on it. I just read about the acai berry , from a palm tree in South America, and just about a month ago was wanting to eat one of the berries that fell from my neighbors queen palm because they smelt so good! thanks for any responses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: queen palm fruit

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 3:20

That's a good question and I don't know if the queen palm fruit is edible. They do smell good don't they, kind of like a jackfruit bubblegum smell to them. I did take a small tastes of one before, more of nibble and spit. Kind of sweet but even if its not toxic, I don't know how anyone could enjoy the fruit, its extremely fibrous.
I think there's several other options out there for fruit bearing palms other than the queen palm.

o

Theyn are edible, but I have not yet found one that tastes any good. Possibly that is because I live in a cool summer area, where sugar levels don't go high enough. I have found that the fruit on the Canary Island Date Palm (phoenix canariensis) can taste moderately good in a hot dry sumer cliamte such as Perth Australia, but here are essentially inedible. True eating dates (Phoenix dactiflyfera) is a good choice if you live in a very hot summer area.

The most common palm for ediible fruits in a temperate climate is Butia capitata, which can also taste very good. Often not so good though, there is a huge variation in flavour. Parajubaea and Jubaea palms have miniature coconuts for seeds. Some Brahea species have nice fruit.

Accai is probably Euterpe edulis, which would grow well in your area. This one is in temperate Auckland, NZ.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Ok, thanks guys, that helped, i don't like watching all those seeds go to waste if there good for something. ha!

o

is there a way to AVOID getting ANY fruit on a queen palm? If I keep it in a pot and limit the growth to 12'-14' tall can I prevent fruit?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here