Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Annona Report

gcmastiffs
17 years ago

With the combined harvest of my Kampong Mauve Sugar Apples, Green Sugar Apples, Rusty's 4826 Atemoyas, and Geffner Atemoyas, I have a few observations to share.

First, thank you Rusty for the 4826 and Geffners. They were a huge hit at my house!

1. The overall winner - the most acceptable in appearance/flavor/sweetness/texture, to the most people is the 4826 Atemoya. It is not mushy, not sickeningly sweet, has few seeds, and can be slurped out of the skins with ease.

I offered the fruit to 4 people, besides myself, and they all loved it. The fruit is a tan color, not overly bumpy. The inside is creamy white.

2. The next best (in my opinion) is the Green Sugar Apple. Sweet, milky, mild flavor of vanilla. Seedy.

3. Geffner Atemoya- firmer, few seeds, not overly sweet, not mushy. I liked it, others found it bland.

4. Kampong Mauve Sugar Apple- extremely sweet! Very soft, drippy, mushy near the skin. Strong flavor of milk/cream/vanilla. Many seeds, they need to be spit out with every taste of fruit. This one is too sweet for me.. It is lovely to look at, and my other 3 tasters said it was not too sweet to them.

With the Sugar Apples, people would taste it, say it was good, then not want more. With the 4826, those fruits were consumed in their entirety, with no stopping.

The taste differences may be related to degree of ripeness.

I'm still learning how to pick the right degree of perfection..

But my new favorite Annona is the 4826 Atemoya, by far.

Lisa

Comments (4)