Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top 10 Avocado Varieties: Opinions Welcome

Posted by cocobananas 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 19:50

I'm looking to buy several avocado trees for greenhouse growing. As I'm a northerner, I don't have much tasting experience beyond haas. I'd like to buy several varieties, and would love to hear from any of you with experience in both tasting and growing.

What are your top ten avocado varieties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top 10 Avocado Varieties: Opinions Welcome

Given that you are greenhouse growing, I would recommend dwarf varieties like Holiday.

o

1--- http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/avocado-viewer/index.htm
2--- For openers get a Hass. Those are the familiar ones from California used in guacamole. Hass is oily and greasy and full tasting but not all avocados are. They can actually be watery and bland
3--- Believe it or not some avocados are more cold resistant
4--- Dwarf variety? Any mango can be pruned small and perhaps the same with avocados

Here is a link that might be useful: avocado cultivars

o

little cado is supposed to be a dwarf variety, i prefer Mexican hass over the Caribbean varieties as well

o

I have only tasted a few avo other than the normal CA ones (Mexicola, Hass) but at the Festival of Fruit a few years ago I tasted a Sharwill avo, it was incredible. We also had some softball sized avos in Puerto Rico that were excellent, dont know the variety though. A friend has been collecting lots cultivars of avos, when they all start producing it is going to be a tasters paradise.

-Ethan

o

Thanks for those.

Yeah, I'll definitely need to keep them pruned pretty tightly to keep them off the ceiling. So more than size, I'm interested in flavor.

I have become quite acquainted with the Pine Island cultivar viewer, and I appreciate their descriptions, but they're in the biz of selling avocados, so I'd prefer to hear it from avocado lovers directly. Knowwhatimean?

o

check out these 2 videos about avocadoes from Dave Wilson nurseries. It is very informative. I have a Haas and a LittleCado. I do not have fruits on them yet, but these are the 2 varieties highly recommended to me by people in my area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5ONrV67MY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpH5Kpzxy8

o

Those are great videos. Super informative for me. Thanks Ashley!

o

I also recommend sharwill as a delicious avocado; worlds better than the commercial 'haas' variety overgrown in CA. Reed is another really good tasting avocado, round with light green, smooth skin. For a big avocado with very rich taste, there is Butterpear. Good luck.

o

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveWilsonTrees

Dave Wilson is very good with lots of educational youtube videos. His nursery is in Modesto California. His basic theme is to get a lot of different fruit trees, plant close together, prune and prune. Or get say 3-4 different apple trees. Whole idea is to get fruit for many months. Keep many smaller fruit trees instead of a few big ones. He gets to sell more trees too :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson- high density fruit trees for your back yard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here