Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black sapote seedling variation

Posted by RodneyJS Cerritos, CA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 20:04

I wanted to know if there was a lot of variation in seedling grown black sapotes. I know that they grow fast & fruit within only a couple of years. Any input would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black sapote seedling variation

Curious here too. Of 30 seeds only had two take.

o

There is a lot of variation with seedling black sapotes. You may end up with a tree with only male flowers and never get fruit.

o

I have a black sapote tree. I had it for over 10 yrs now. It had been chopped down and grew back. It did not produce for many years but the tree was very ornamental & evergreen so I kept it. Well 4 years ago in December, I went out to my back yard and picked up a strong chocolate odor from under the tree. A fruit I never noticed fell and smashed on the ground. I looked carefully in the tree & found another one. It was pretty good. The next year, I got dozens. Every year since then,,, tons! I believe the key is patience. They are not the most delicious fruit but they are extremely good for you. I have learned to love them. The big bonus is that they ripen in the Winter around Christmas, so they are great for a year round garden.

Good luck!

Vince

o

Vince,

I love black sapote fruits. If you would consider selling any extras and ship I would be first in line to buy. Are all yours gone now?

o

Hello eyeckr,

I just gave my tree a big trim for the spring. It was getting enormous. I had too try to manage her size. She's going through the Spring flowering stage. The fruit will slowly reach maturity over the Summer & Fall months. They'll be ripe come November, December. I can send you some then. No problem.

Vince

o

Sounds awesome Vince and thanks for posting a picture of your tree! Would you mind sending me a PM so I can get your contact info?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here