Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pj1881

Outdoor Garcinia?

pj1881
12 years ago

Are any of you successfully growing Garcinia outdoors in Florida, if so what varieties? Also, how far north?? (and I realize that there are alot of discrepancies in names)

Comments (9)

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi,

I have a few different Garcinia plants, all growing in pots. I bring them inside the garage during cold weather. So far they have all survived:

Garcinia acuminata
    Garcinia brasiliensis
    Garcina sp. (Mexican)
    Garcinia gardneriana
    Garcinia sp. (achachairu)
    Garcinia intermedia
    Garcinia madruno
    Garcinia mangostana (mangosteen)

I live in Delray Beach.

Tomas

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

My Garcinia intermedia didn't flinch when we had those 2 cold winters. The Garcinia intermedia seems to be fairly bullet proof. You can plant the darn things in heavy shade or full sun and they could care less.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I would echo Jeff's comments regarding g. intermedia. No cold damage at all at 28 F. (for a short time anyway). G. livingstonei (Imbe) is equally hardy....but of questionable desireability. Mangosteens are actually more cold tolerant than what people think. I think they can tolerate cold as long as there is no freeze or frost. They may not thrive, but in my experience, they will not die either. So, from what I have seen, you are safe with mangosteen to 40 F and perhaps a little lower for a short period of time. On G. laterifolia and magnifolia....I am not that experienced. I would think that for madruno or charicheula, cold here in Florida should not be a concern because I think it grows at altitude and experiences cold in its native range.

Harry

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

If you got the brasiliensis from PR, it is most likely laterifolia(achachairu).

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi ohiojay,

My Garcinia brasiliensis came directly from Brazil, so I think I got the right label on them.

Tomas

• pj1881
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jay!
    My Garcinia were actually sent to me by Pedro DePacas in Puerto Rico.. He mailed me...

Grafted
    Madruno (Garcinia Madruno Large leaf)
    Bakupari (Garcinia Brasiliensis) probably Laterfolia
    Mameyito (Garcinia Intermedia)
    Kwai Muk

Seedling
    Pachira Aquatica

Harry, I saw your Intermedia, it looked great! Thanks for the info..

Tomas,
    My plans were to bring them in for winter in pots, I just hope they will make it next spring when I plug em in the ground! Thanks for the info!

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

I think Eric Bronson had planted some garcinias out. He's in your area.

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi ohiojay,

Yes now when you mention it. When I visited his place I saw all his Garcinias (impressive!), but I cannot remember which of them were in the ground and which of them grow in pots.

Tomas

• tita1970
    12 years ago

How can I acelerate the growth of my achachairu, anyone know it

Here is a link that might be useful: ME

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors