Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Garcinia?

Posted by pj1881 10a PBC Fla. (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 20:28

Are any of you successfully growing Garcinia outdoors in Florida, if so what varieties? Also, how far north?? (and I realize that there are alot of discrepancies in names)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Garcinia?

• Posted by boson Delray BeachFlorida (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 21:39

Hi,

I have a few different Garcinia plants, all growing in pots. I bring them inside the garage during cold weather. So far they have all survived:

Garcinia acuminata
Garcinia brasiliensis
Garcina sp. (Mexican)
Garcinia gardneriana
Garcinia sp. (achachairu)
Garcinia intermedia
Garcinia madruno
Garcinia mangostana (mangosteen)

I live in Delray Beach.

Tomas

o

My Garcinia intermedia didn't flinch when we had those 2 cold winters. The Garcinia intermedia seems to be fairly bullet proof. You can plant the darn things in heavy shade or full sun and they could care less.

Jeff

o

I would echo Jeff's comments regarding g. intermedia. No cold damage at all at 28 F. (for a short time anyway). G. livingstonei (Imbe) is equally hardy....but of questionable desireability. Mangosteens are actually more cold tolerant than what people think. I think they can tolerate cold as long as there is no freeze or frost. They may not thrive, but in my experience, they will not die either. So, from what I have seen, you are safe with mangosteen to 40 F and perhaps a little lower for a short period of time. On G. laterifolia and magnifolia....I am not that experienced. I would think that for madruno or charicheula, cold here in Florida should not be a concern because I think it grows at altitude and experiences cold in its native range.

Harry

o

If you got the brasiliensis from PR, it is most likely laterifolia(achachairu).

o

Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 18:43

Hi ohiojay,

My Garcinia brasiliensis came directly from Brazil, so I think I got the right label on them.

Tomas

o

• Posted by pj1881 10a PBC Fla. (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 18:59

Thanks Jay!
My Garcinia were actually sent to me by Pedro DePacas in Puerto Rico.. He mailed me...

Grafted
Madruno (Garcinia Madruno Large leaf)
Bakupari (Garcinia Brasiliensis) probably Laterfolia
Mameyito (Garcinia Intermedia)
Kwai Muk

Seedling
Pachira Aquatica

Harry, I saw your Intermedia, it looked great! Thanks for the info..

Tomas,
My plans were to bring them in for winter in pots, I just hope they will make it next spring when I plug em in the ground! Thanks for the info!

o

I think Eric Bronson had planted some garcinias out. He's in your area.

o

Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 21:30

Hi ohiojay,

Yes now when you mention it. When I visited his place I saw all his Garcinias (impressive!), but I cannot remember which of them were in the ground and which of them grow in pots.

Tomas

o

How can I acelerate the growth of my achachairu, anyone know it

Here is a link that might be useful: ME

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here