Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cubiclegrow

Indoor potted mango leaves wilting along edges

cubiclegrow
11 years ago

Hi all,

I keep a few plants in my office at work, one of which is a mango sapling. I realize that BC Canada is not the best place to grow tropical plants, but the pineapple next to it seems to be doing very well (2 years, grew from a 3 inch cutting, now likes to stab my face whenever I grab stuff on my desk).

Last week, I noticed that the leaves on the third level of growth were wilting along the edges. I had been following a dry/wet watering cycle I read about somewhere else, and was using a chopstick to measure soil moisture at ~2in before deciding on watering. Should I change this?

Also, the pot itself is suffering from a minor infestation of fungus gnats which was caused by me leaving the plant outside this summer (was a rather hot summer in BC this year). The wet/dry watering cycle does control it down to 3-4 gnats, and I've been swatting them when I can. I do want the buggers gone and I read that a hydrogen peroxide flush is the way to do it. Is this safe for a mango sapling?

Soil is miracle-gro as recommended by some Rona garden center employee who may not have been completely sure when asked about growing mangos indoors. Re-potted once, no additional fertilizer added since seedling first planted in soil last June 2012 (Rona employee mentioned that miracle-gro has fertilizer in it already, again, didn't seem sure)

Mango species... uh... mostly red looking fruit , kinda stubby/roundish, was bought on sale at an Asian grocery store. Seed de-shelled and sprouted in water according to some youtube video.