Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reb1136

Looking for some tree advice

reb1136
12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Im getting ready to order a few trees from PIN, and Im looking for a little advice. I am going to order a jackfruit but I cant decide if I want a Black Gold x Tabouey or a Mai 1.

The other trees are a Sri Kembangan starfruit, Sweetheart Lychee, and a Pickering mango. Thanks

Comments (9)

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

I'm not totally sure on those cultivars (since I presume here you are growing for flavor) but I recall that on the "won't grow again" thread starfruit doesn't fare to well. So you may want to reconsider.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Mai 1 is an outstanding flavored Jak, one of the sweetest. How are you going to be able to protect it ? Are these grafted or seedlings ?

As for the Carambola, I am not familiar with that variety but Bell is an excellent variety.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Sorry, but I do not think that PIN has Black Gold x Tabouey. I have one that I grew from the Fairchild Jakfruit Breeding program. It is the only producing tree that I am aware of. There may be others that were purchased from the breeding program by others that I have not heard any report about. So that makes your decision on the Jakfruit easy. Mai 1 ia a very nice choice. I would not say that it is one of the sweetest jakfruit, but it does have a decent amount of sweetness and is firm fleshed.

On the other trees you mention, Sri Kembangan is an excellent choice for carambola. It produces large firm, sweet and flavorful fruits (for carambolas anyway). Pickering is a great choice for a mango especially if space is an issue. On the Sweetheart lychee, if you do a search with my name and Sweetheart, you see that I have not had good results with it. But, I haven't given up hope.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

I think PIN actually does sell the BG x Tab. It's not on the website, but I've seen grafted BG x Tab trees for sale with the PIN tag.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Very interesting, Jeff......that's news to me.

Harry

• sleep
    12 years ago

If they have the BG xTab, go for that!

• reb1136
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They have the BG x Tab its not listed on there website. I got a reply back from them through email and that was one of the choices given, so Harry would you go with the Mai 1 or BG x Tab. Thanks for the other information given. I might hold off on the Sweetheart lychee

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

The problem is that Black Gold x Tabouey is a cross. When Fairchild set up their breeding program, they made lots of crosses with their best cutivars....of which black gold and tabouey were just two. They prodcuced many seedlings of each selected cross. I bought one of them and it is now a large tree...having been in the ground since about 1998. What became of all the others, I never heard. There could be trees with fantastic fruit (like mine...in my humble opinion) or lousy ones and everything in between. I don't know where they (PIN) got theirs and I don't know if it is a grafted tree with the parent being one of the initial seedling trees (like mine). So, until I knew more about where it came from and whether it is grafted or not, I think I'd have to take the grafted (assuming it is grafted ) Mai 1. I reserve the right to alter this recommnedation depending on if the cross is grafted and if the grafting material came from a tree with similar fruit to mine. My Black Gold x Tabouey is much better than Mai 1...again in my humble opinion.

Harry

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

To all, keep this in mind, especially with what Harry says...

...and dispute me all you want, but PIN is not always truthful and honest. It has been proven that they have obtained items created/named by someone and renamed the plant/fruit something else and call it "theirs". That makes a thief and liar in my book...

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County