Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samuelforest

Mallika mango tree help!!!!

samuelforest
12 years ago

Hi everybody!Today when I was watering my mango tree I found some small litle white insects on top of the soil moving...What are these are they dangerous and how can I get rid of these.I wasn't able to cath one and post a picture because they are so small please help!

Thanks in advance

Sam

Comments (10)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

when i removed the dried grass that i was using as mulch during the summer, i had a bunch of them too.

i just sprayed them down with liquid insecticide.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

A picture sure would help.

Harry

• samuelforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's some pictures for you guys.
    {{gwi:1333587}}
    By simonshady97 at 2011-10-18
    {{gwi:1333589}}
    {{gwi:1333590}}
    {{gwi:1333591}}
    {{gwi:1333592}}
    {{gwi:1333593}}

Thanks again
    Sam

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Sam - possibly mealy bugs? But I googled little white fuzzy bugs and something came up about a white aphid or fuzzy aphid that jumps when you try to touch it. Does it jump?

In any case, can't you spray it with some not-to-harmful organic spray to kill them

mangodog

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

The pics are blurry and hard to really see the critters. Can you please describe the critters, winged, hard exoskeleton, soft exoskeleton, larvae-like, etc. Also, is that fine textured mulch, if so, what kind/brand/where from, etc.

If that is mulch, and the insects have visible legs (if gotten close enough) and seem to jump or hop, I would say they could very well be springtails. From the University of Florida IFAS Extension, "They are tiny insects about 1 mm to 2 mm long. They are in the order Collembola and are white to grayish, with no wings. They have a forked structure (furcula) on the rear of the body that enables jumping. Springtails live in mulch and wet soil, but can migrate into homes and swimming pools in large numbers. They feed on molds and decaying vegetation."

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

the title of that link should be 'here is a picture of springtails from "far away".

Here is a close up picture of a springtail.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

those are what i had, some spectracide triazicide killed them quick.

• samuelforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are springtals, they jump when I try to touch them and they are the same as the picture.Are they harmful to plants?How to kill them?

Thanks for all you guys that are keeping posting.
    Sam

• guajiro
    12 years ago

For leaf eating insects use Sevin.
    For leaf or stem sucking insects use Malathion.

• samuelforest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've not found any of these insects eating leaves or stem ,so I don't think I'll need sevin or malthion and I think I controlled the problem.Today, I saw just a few of them :),so I will let dry the top soil completely dry again till they all die.I hope I didn't had these insect because of root rot...I don't use gritty mix I'll would like to but couln't find any of the ingredients.Could someone tell when he water his mango tree since root rot might be the reason of their presence?I don't if I should worry ,but my tree has not grow since I have it back in mid august.It only grew where I tipped a branch.This is my first mango tree this is why I worry.

Thanks for you guys that are all posting on this great forum espescially Harry one of the best gardeners.

Sam, the young gardener from Canada.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting