Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think of this greenhouse?

Posted by RodneyJS Cerritos, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 21:35

It's relatively cheap & easy to transport if needed. Greenhouses with polycarbonate panels run $1000+

Here is a link that might be useful: Walmart greenhouse

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think of this greenhouse?

I actually have it. Works pretty well and is well made for the price. I had no problem keeping it at about 40 degrees on nights with temps down to 20. I used two oil filled heaters inside it. I don't think it would hold in much heat without the heaters though. It is kind of a pain to put up and take down. I actually left the frame up over the summer to save me some time this winter when I have to put the panels back up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Cool. It seems cost-effective. I figure the fabric will need to be replaced every 5 years or so.

o

The fabric is pretty durable. I think I'll get more than 5 years out of it since it only stays up for a few months a year.

o

Jsvand5, did you ever obtain a Selma cherimoya?

o

Jsvand5, do you recall how much those heaters cost you? Are they more effective and suitable for small greenhouse than say electric or Oscillating/ceramic heaters?

o
Running two heaters at the same time?

• Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 14:47

How are you able to run two heaters at the same time. I started with two heaters last night but it tripped the breaker so I could use only one. Thankfully the one was enough but I know colder nights are to come, so how can I run both heaters at the same time?

o

You will probably have to run them on two different circuits

The heaters are about $40. I think the fan ones would probably work too.

I did finally get a Selma Cherimoya from Roger Meyer in CA. Seems to be doing really well so far.

o

I hate to be a doomsayer-but FABRIC walls? The heat holding/retaining must be terrible on cold or worse cold and windy day and nights.
I've been thinking of a 8X10-maybe more greenhouse to keep my very tender plants and also a couple of large and very large aquariums..but it has to hold heat well-70F and no lower at all times.
I think,used glass panes or fiberglass salvaged might be best. You would think with so many buildings torn down all the time,glass would be almost free...dang,how do they get away with charging so much even for that sometimes?

o

• Posted by zands 10b Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 17:45

stanofh--
Never seen this item but this "fabric" is not what you think it is here. I think it is thick mil plastic sheeting with a strong wide "fabric" reinforcement built (melted) into it. In other words air does not get through it so the greenhouse has roll-up windows too. That's what I think this is

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here