Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldys_gw

Anyone Growing Soncoya (Annona purpurea)?

eldys
16 years ago

I have a few seeds that just sprouted and I was wondering whether anyone knows of special requirements the trees might have. While I'm at it, is anyone growing ilama (Annona diversifolia)? I have several seedlings going at the moment.

Comments (20)

• racor_2006
    16 years ago

Eldys,

I tried to grow Soncoya last year. A couple of seeds sprouted but died soon after. I do have a couple of grafted Ilamas growing in pots. One is in a 15gal pot (red genova variety). This one flowered last year but I was unable to hand pollinate it. The other one is a Guillermo. This one is in a 5gal pot. Both look goog specially the Red Genova. It's almost 6ft tall. It seems to like southern California weather.

I am not doing anything different as far as growing conditions are concern. I am just treating them like Cherimoyas. Good draining soil, water regularly when needed, fertilize every 2 or 3 months with slow release fertilizer. Always protect from frost with shade cloth/rowcover in winter.

Hope I was of some help.

• jotnami
    16 years ago

I have one Soncoya seedling that is one year old. The biggest thing I have noticed is how sensitive it is to the cold. Mine gets cold damage at temps in the low 50's.

• patusho25
    16 years ago

hi eldys, soncoya seedlings are almost like weeds... they can take drought, direct sun and are somewhat fast growers. mine are in straight sphagnum peat moss. hope fruit is any good.

my ilama seeds never sprouted... grrr

• eldys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the advice! Racor 2006, where did you get your named ilama varieties? I might try to get some bud wood next year. Jotnami, I'll do my best to protect the trees whenever temperatures drop. Patusho, how many soncoya seedlings do you have?

• racor_2006
    16 years ago

Eldys,

I purchased the Ilamas from Roger Meyer. You can find his information in the CRFG website under Nurseries.

• Eggo
    16 years ago

I got some ilamas going. Its doing well but not the most vigorous of growers among the Annonas. it always seem to struggle through winter. I think they should make it outdoor here in coastal Southern California. I believe Roger Meyer has one fairly decently size tree planted outside his yard in fountain valley.

• patusho25
    16 years ago

eldys... gave four away and kept only one.

• ronald123
    15 years ago

soncoya fruit

just pollinated and growing

on the tree last year

• ch3rri
    15 years ago

Ronald- you have a picture of the cutted fruit? Never tasted it before.

• ronald123
    15 years ago

Here is a picture, not mine.

I look at it more as a oddity and conversation piece. because , mine at least was not very nice. Barely better than a pond apple in my opinion. Impressive though. These were hand pollinated , but hardly worth the trouble and did not do any this year. So far the tree is still there, space might be better used for something else one day.

• ronald123
    15 years ago

sorry about previous picture , here it is again. as I said this is not my fruit.

• amazondude69
    14 years ago

HI, everyone I wanted to know if anyone has some fresh soncoya seeds for sale!

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Just curious as to opinions on the taste of this fruit

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

I have a Red Genova Ilama in a 15 gallon pot right now. It has 3 fruits on it right now and they are hanging on and getting bigger. I got mine from Roger Meyer. I will post pics so that you all can see. I hand pollinated all 3 of them. I was lucky to have some pollen around when the flowers opened.

- Jacob

• fincalosarboles
    12 years ago

When we purchased our 27-Ac farm in Costa Rica, June, 2004 the Suncoya, Annona purpurea, was one of the only two bearing fruit trees. Every September the fruit ripens and falls to the ground. I check everyday so the ants don't get them. This year is a bumper crop. We enjoy the fruit but it is difficult to eat as the meat sticks to the seeds tightly. Today we solved that problem using a plastic expanding mesh used to market fruit and vegetables, we squeezed the pulp with seeds by hand through the mesh yielding a lush bowl of pudding like substance which was very delicious on our granola. Does anyone know the nutritional value of Soncoya?
    The other bearing fruit tree was a Mandarin Lime which produces almost year around. We have since planted over 2000 trees, lots of Avocados, Guanabana, Star Fruit, Citrus, and many of the local hard woods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finca Los Arboles

• ronald123
    12 years ago

My fully grown tree is not doing well recently, seems to be something with the roots. Will be planting out one of the many tiny seedlings that we have. Not sure if I posted this in the past of the cut fruit.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Beautiful photo Ronald, is the flavor of the fruit worth replanting the tree or is it more for collectors?

-Ethan

• ronald123
    12 years ago

Personally its just for the novelty why I will replant and not in such a valuable part of the property. Not much for the flavour. Kind of reminds me of pond apple in that the aroma of the cut fruit is fantastic but flavour not so much.

• berto
    12 years ago

I have a good size soncoya tree that measures over 5 feet tall in a large pot. I am willing to trade it with someone. I live in Fort Myers, Florida. My email bertonsilva@hotmail.com

• costaricafinca
    12 years ago

What is the best way to get the fruit off of the seeds?
    Long, tedious job...
    Hi, angie, just noticed you answered my question ...from your Canadian 'neighbor':) We have lots too!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting