Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coco_nut_gw

Different Pineapple Variety Question

coco-nut
11 years ago

There are many different type of pineapples available. In the US or Southern California I would normally see the Dole or Del Monte Pineapples. The Del Monte are grown in Costa Rica and are called an MD2 I believe. The Doles are grown in Hawaii or Costa Rica, not sure if the Dole in CR and Hawaii are different or the same variety but they are not too different if they are. Chestnut Hills from CR are also MD2. I think the Dole and Del Monte are also similar and maybe the Dole is an MD2 but not sure.

I can on occasion get a Victoria, the small pineapples from South Africa. I've planted some tops before and grown them as well.

Can Sugarloaf or the White Pineapple as it is known, can it be found in stores in the US, specifically Southern California? Also what about Red Spanish?

I admit unless it's a really small pineapple like the Victoria, if I see other pineapples I don't think I will be able to identify them. With that said, if I see a grown in Mexico pineapple will it be a Sugarloaf? I wonder because I hear they are grown in Mexico.

Just curious.

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!