Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone grow Gac fruit?

Posted by RodneyJS Cerritos, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 22:49

It,s supposed to be the greatest source of carotene and lycopene. I know it's dioecious but I'm unaware of it's optimum temp range. Gratitude in advance for any pertinent info

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone grow Gac fruit?

Don;t know its optimum temp range but I know it is grown and will fruit in Lake Worth, Palm Beach County, Florida.

Rob

o

Rodney,

David from cloudforest is growing it in the central valley. You can ask him questions about it, I have looked into maybe trying to grow it myself (however I have no room for a large perennial vine atm).

o

aside from using it as a fresh & natural food coloring sub, what or how do you use your gac? My uncle has a very healthy growing vine, yet to fruit, in zip 92127. I don't know how it compares to your zone.

Tim

o

it looks somewhat like bitter melon or what the Trinis here call careilly.

Im pretty sure every tropical fruit grower in South Florida has at least one of those in there yard

o

I've read that the pulp around the seeds are edible. The rind is toxic, though.

o

Bryan, I believe what you're showing is in fact a smaller bitter melon variety. Gac is a much bigger sized fruit. I remember seeing that bitter melon before, just can't recall it's exact name.

Tim

o

I don't grow Gac melon...but lord knows I have a heck of a lot of what was posted by Bryan (mango kush) above. I always called what Bryan posted as Balsam Melon. I have seen it called Bitter Melon also. Its a pain in the butt. It'll over grow an entire tree if you let it.

Harry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here