Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Everbearing Mangos - is it true?

Posted by mangodog Palm Springs (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 22:49

The recent blooming Rosigold discussion made me want to ask if anyone in the continental U.S. (especially in California where I live) has had more than one crop of mangoes in a calendar year, whether it be Thai-Everbearing, Choc anon, Nam Doc Mai or whatever other varieties supposedly perform in this manner.....

gratis....mangodog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everbearing Mangos - is it true?

Thats a good question, how about anyone in South Florida as well?

o

Maybe. I have a year and a half Ataulfo seedling from Mexico that has flowered three times this year. Last time in Sept. The nursery that I purchase the tree from said that it is common for these seedling to bear fruits, after two years, several times a year. The tree is four feet tall. I have snapped the flowers off to promote new growth but this time I let it hold one fruit for the hell of it.

o

Asian mangos are more prolific and sometimes large trees will have a sporadic offseason bloom. i would be wary of anyone trying to market a specific variety for this to hang your hat on happening though.

o

thanks, folks....but still no first hand reports of more than one annual crop. I specifically bought the Nam Doc Mai and Choc-anon for this reason....I guess time will tell.....I'm also going to guess that perhaps the tropics has less of a hot/cool season like we generally have and more like variations on summer, thus the trees would be more likely to generate multiple attempts at crops ??!!XX

Although JFernandez seems to have a tree at least flowering with that behavior, and I believe you're in LaHabra, right JF??? Keep us posted if you would....I'll order one of those puppies if you score more than one run in an inning......!

By the way, where'd ya get that Ataulfo????

mangodog

o

Mangodog,

I went to Exotica nursery in Vista, in April 2010, and I found the nursery East of Exotica, on vista way, name clauson. What caught my attention was a two year old eight foot mango tree on a box loaded with good size mangos. They had one in a 5g that was blooming so I took it. They told me it was a Mexican Ataulfo that would fruit next year.

baby ataulfo

o

That mango doesn't look like an Ataulfo. It's shape is like a Nam Doc Mai.

o

hi Rodney,

This is definitely not a nam doc mai. It's an Ataulfo or a Manila seedling. Check out my friends 7 year old Ataulfo in Chino Hill.

ripe one

here is the tree

o

I haven't experienced any ever bearing mangoes despite growing Chou Anon and Thai Everbearing. Thai Everbearing is beginning to bloom now. It has had fruit on it here in Florida at various times during the year, but it is not truly everbearing. It just bears sporadically. I am still waiting for the "miracle" of Chou Anon to show itself. Last year, in a ridiculously bad mango year, it didn't bloom once, never mind multiple times. I have heard that Zill's High Performance Plants does have them in pots presently and they are carrying fruit. It might be that they require the additional stress of containerized growing. So for those folks that are growing mangoes in pots, keep trying.

Harry

o

thanks jfernandez.....I love that pointy little tip on the Ataulfo, if in fact it is the Ataulfo...RodneyS is right, the fruit in your pic does look EXACTLY like the pics I've seen of Nam Doc Mai's shape....guess I should go on line and see what kind of description I can find on it....but you got a great looking tree there.....

So Exotica Nursery in Vista....ok....i've got a daughter and son-in-law that live down in San Diego...perhaps it's time to pay a little visit :)

Yes Harry, the "miracle" mango...maybe we should call it the Jesus Mango if ever lives up to it's rep!!!

I've also wondered if fertilizing a tree with something like Super Bloom would bring on a flowering at an odd time of year.......I'm just bound and determined to have a year round crop of mangoes....silly me....

mangodawg

o

JFernandez....I went on line and found at least 3 sites that said the Ataulfo was also called Manila, a 7 year old tree which I have, and my fruit looks nothing like your ataulfo....

Help, you experts out there......!

mangowoofie

o

You all are arguing over matters that have no definite right or wrong answers. Manila/Ataulfo and Nam Doc Mai both collectively have different variations and varieties that maybe a result of seedling races created from seeds being planted out and then propagated when the sexually created offspring was expecially desireable. So, it largely depends on who is calling the name and where that name arose over the many years from where the mango was originally grown. If you all can figure the answer out with any more clarity or definity, please let me, and us all know. Good luck!

Harry

o

its a seedling that definitely doesnt have typical ataulfo characteristics, there are many seedling names, how variable they are is debatable. the typical ataulfo/manilla/Champagne/honey mango looks like this

your mango looks more like a birds beak, i think theres a common thai name for that

o

Thanks, Harry, I suppose there are many varieties of offspring with names thrown loosely around from place to place....

And Mango Kush - your photo looks exactly like my Lowe's bought Manila crop......

Now if I could only barter for some patience......

mangoD

o

Asian mangos are the only trees that seedling will come true. Indian mangos will not and have to be grafted.

Asian mango seedlings are Polyembryonic, meaning multiple shoots only one of which will be true to type. When seedlings are planted for rootstock like Turpentine, they (somehow) determine which shoot is true to type and clip the rest. Through this process inevitably some do not come true to type, and the same happens with seedling trees sold in nurseries. I think one of the reasons they get away with selling seedling Asian mangos trees is because even if they do come different from seed they are more likely to still be desirable, where Monoembryonic Indian mangos usually are not.

o

Although not a mango, mangosteen also comes true from seed

o

Ive heard people from true tropical climates say they usually have mangos all year round, they only have two seasons really, wet and the dry. maybe Hawaii because its below the tropic of Cancer

o

Well, whatever it is it's as good as advertise, so far. These seedling are under a pound the nam doc mai I've seen in Socal. are well over a pound some up to two and a half pounds. The fruits on the tree that you see are a pound. Mangodog, I bought my Mexican Ataulfo from Clausen nursery not Exotica.

o

doesnt look exactly like the typical Nam Doc Mai propagated here to me either

NAM DOC MAI

it looks more oblong, like OKRUNG TONG

in "The Great Mango Book" Allen Susser depicts six basic shapes of the mango

Thai mango names are often descriptive, like "pikung" means "long arm" denoting a long mango, or "tong" which means "gold". since Thai uses a different alphabet its difficult to translate online but i would like to get a list of thai mango names and their translation.

o

thanks, jf and mk.....mangodog

o

to wit, one can plant an ataulfo seed, not select the sprout that is true to type, and end up with a mango similar ion shape to the typical nam doc mai. this does not make it nam doc mai, but an ataulfo seedling.

im sure if you look around for another ataulfo tree you will see its fruit are more oval then oblong (or you can just google images "ataulfo")

that particular mango

o

Mango kush, you are right! The OKRUNG TONG and the ATAULFO'S do look like twins!

I have a Thai friend in Santa Ana who has two huge nam doc mai trees, they are 25 years old. They are unbelievably sweet and fiberless, see if I can find the pics from last years crop.

o

Mango kush,

Here are some pics of the nam doc mai in California, they are huge about 2 to 3 pounds. My friend only has 5 left in the tree because of the funky weather we've been having all year. Last year at this time his tree was loaded but most of his Thai mangos ripen up in Sept. after a week of 100 degrees temperature. Last week it was 70F this week it's 100F again

o

Sunset magazine's garden bible book always describes soucal Mangos' as small and shrubby,only sometimes bearing good fruit. THEY LIE!
Those pics show great tree's. Big enough-I have a White Sapote that size and cant eat all the fruit it has.

o

Nice tree Jfernandez, congrats on the fruit!

Is it the angle of the camera...but your tree seems planted very close to that block wall...are you planning on pruning it vigorously to maintain it as a very small tree. Some of the pictures you posted shows them getting very large even in CA. Best of luck!

o

stanofh, they certainly are wrong about Socal. Indeed, mango trees thrive in Socal. There are so many fruiting trees...... they're just hiding in the ethnic communities i.e Santa Ana, La Habra, Anaheim, Garden Grove, Westminster, Los Angeles etc. Minosa Nursery is the best source for grafted mangos, they are the distributors of Pine Island Nursery. I love White Sapote but they can get rather large. I have the Suebelle variety which is a dwarf with superior taste.

puglvr1, yes I plan to follow Dr. Campbell's tipping and pruning advice. I love his videos here is the link:http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/jackfruit/Growing-a-Mango-Tree/
I want nothing to do with a 30 ft giant, I don't have the room.

o

I am on the same page with you on that one and completely agree! I too prefer my trees short and wide. I have the room, but I prefer not to have to climb a ladder and use a pole...I'm very short,lol...Plus it makes it a easier to protect during our freezes.

o

stanofh,

to give you an idea of the size of the above nam doc mai here is a comparison to a large Southern California grown haden. Sunset magazine's couldn't be more wrong about Socal mangos. Both of these mangos have great size with exceptional taste, especially the nam doc mai.

o

puglvr1,

Here is a pic of my friends Mexican Ataulfo. We bought them in early April, my was a year old his was 6 months. He tipped his to about 6 inches and look at how this mango has grown in 7 months.

in April before he chooped it

new growth and it's been freezing down here for the last week ( low 60's daytime low 40's at night).

o

Hello everyone:
I've never seen an everbearing mango tree. At least not one that was growing in the ground. I have however, seen mango trees in pots that produce fruits sometimes twice per year. I think that Harry's comment about the additional stress from the pot is probably right on. The pot might artificially cause the tree to fruit multiple times.

Now, about colder temperatures. My seedling mango trees (I have three of them), grow very late in to the fall and typically start flushing again very early in the spring. I have new growth on my trees right now and we are almost in December... So, it does not surprise me that mangos can grow well in many areas of Southern Cal...

I use to get terrible anthracnose damage on the fall/spring new growth, but I finally found a systemic fungicide that completely eliminates the problem. Thank god, I was about to give up on trying...

Good luck this winter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here