Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

White Sapote fruit today..

Why am I posting again about that crazy tree? So that you can see that I posted in May it had ripe fruit...and its still dropping big sweet fruit!..and many flowers,green fruits on it...and larger close to ripe.
Its next to my neighbors lime that she gave my wife a sack of. I swear- I had no idea that limes also were far superior to market!..I don't think anybody on this forum has mentioned limes in a long time. Let me tell you...I squeezed some on an apple..a bit of salt..and it tasted GREAT.
Edit November 21st: Picked another off the ground today. Good sized. I see quite a few green ones still on the tree.
Next update,December!

This post was edited by stanofh on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 17:46

Comments (12)

• Lars
    9 years ago

I've had my white sapote for at least three years now, and it is over 20 feet tall, but I have not gotten any fruit from it. I am getting nice fruit from my cherimoya, however, and that makes up for it, at least for me.

Have you posted photos of your tree? I would like to see how it looks compared to mine.

Lars

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Lars I didn't post yesterday. Here it is today..lighting this time of year seems harsh,sorta washed the green out.
    Now remember I prune this tree 2-3 times a year. Sides and bottom with a hedger,top with loppers and pole saw. So,its kept more compact so I can fit other tropical fruits in the very small yard.

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

Dang, so jealous Stan! Dying for my white sapote to give up some fruit! Looks very tasty, can't wait for more updates on it.

• Lars
    6 years ago

Well, I did remain patient, and now I have flowers on my tree:

It has quite a few flowers, and so maybe I will get a good crop of fruit. My cherimoya will be ripe before this. I only got one pitaya fruit this year, even though I thought I pollinated the flowers properly. I am assuming that I will NOT have to pollinate this tree, unlike my cherimoya and pitaya. The cherimoya was fairly easy to pollinate. I'm hoping the white sapote fruit will be good - I don't know if I've had any before.

• eloise_ca
    6 years ago

Congrats Lars on your sapote flowering! I've tasted sapote from a CRFG member's tree and it was tasty. I should plant my sapote in the ground, but it's hard to find space for it :-(

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Great news! Once they get going they make plenty. Maybe the very first will be off..but as their season picks up,the fruit turn into a french vanilla custard. The only drawback is that its very perishable. Even a fridge hardy slows that down. So,it makes it even hard to give away- you have to pick and find somebody in 48 hours...like those Jason Stathom movies!

Also- do not be afraid to prune your tree. It only adds to the looks making it denser. They take pruning like a duck to water. NO worry's,believe me.

• Lars
    6 years ago

My tree is pretty tall and gangly by now, and so I will make a point to prune it after this fruiting season. I never pruned it before because I did not know how it would affect it. I do prune my cherimoya, however, as otherwise that would also get too tall, and I would not be able to reach the flowers.

If the fruit does not keep, I will make a point to freeze some of it as a sorbet - that's what I do with cherimoya, and it sounds like it will have a similar flavor.

Thanks for the pruning tip!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's a photo from 2 weeks ago that you can see what I was doing in the background to a Suebelle..

When you cut back all the rangy leaders..it some right back with dense lush foliage. I keep mine so I can walk under it,and the top is a hemisphere. NO problems.

• eloise_ca
    6 years ago

Question: Where should a white sapote be planted, NSEW of the house, shade, sun? Thanks.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Sun. There are various types Eloise. Some types are said to grow huge and with oak tree trunks. Others like Suebelle take decades to take over a yard. Then,you prune it if you want.

• eloise_ca
    6 years ago

Thanks stanofh. I don't know what I have other than it's a white sapote I got from CRFG. If it's one that grows huge, I plan to prune to a size I like as I do my other fruit trees.