Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammysf

Cherimoya season starts soon :)

tammysf
13 years ago

who is gonna order more cherimoyas this year? The season starts end of novenmber.

I can't wait.

my little chaffey cherimoya tree has 3 little baby fruit on it without any hand pollination....

Comments (16)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I will be ordering. I cannot wait either. I have been looking forward to this for a long time. Nice to hear from you Tammy! How are ya doing?
    Andrew

• tammysf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hey andrew,

been so busy so wasnt on gardenweb much...2 babies, started a new business, etc....still busy but have a nanny so hopefully it will help free up some time.

how are you and trees?

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

I'm definitely going to be ordering some Cherimoyas this year. I purchased a Dr. White and Honeyheart this year and also have some Selma, Dr. White, and Hybrid cherimoya seedlings growing.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    I had similiar luck with my mango trees as you did. I now have a 'Maha Chinook' that so far, is doing pretty good. I invested in a 600 watt HPS light to keep them warm and sunny all winter. I hate the weather in western NY. One snow fall around Christmas is good enough for me but it lasts too darn long for me. Other than that, all my trees are doing great! My meyer lemon and dancy tangerine are loaded with fruit. My two ORo's and keylime are blooming and my avocado, green caimito, and various seedlings are all growing nicely.
    My grafted Fino de Jete is about 4ft tall now, and my African Pride atemoya/ Sabor Cherimoya tree is recovering from root rot.
    I can't wait for the cherimoyas to come in season.
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be ordering again this year.

My one of my little trees held two fruit this year. They were small but tasted pretty good. Next year they are all going in the ground so I am hoping they will grow a little better.

• tammysf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@andrew: that is so great about your cherimoya. mine only started growing once the weather cooled a bit.

@jsvand: what type did you grow? how long do they take to get full size? i have a few babies on my chaffey.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

The last time I had sweet Cherimoyas were from tree's I grew way back in the 80's. From seed I got off a Safeway fruit. So,If I was one for one on good tasting seedling fruits,it might be worth-for fun-trying to grow your own. The 1990 freeze took it out-but I wasn't as steeped in exotics as now. I think with some cover it might even have survived.They do like heavy watering as I recall.
    But,I did have a chance at a 'Booth' last year at Regans..if I knew they were going to skip selling all the very tender tropicals this year..darn.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    Thanks for the compliments. I suspect that even though you had your summer delayed(or was it spring?), your temps were a lot warmer. We had some record breaking heat this summer. We actually had one of the warmest summers in a very long time.
    I also sent you an email but I know your pretty tied up with your family.
    Andrew

• tammysf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hey andrew, horrible about checking email...did you see my post that i got my first ripe mango?

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    Yeah I saw that. I ws so happy for ya. Just what you need to get yourself geared up for more mango trees right! I appreciated the pictures of the Glenn since it gives me perspective on when I may get fruits on my Maha Chinook. Did you get any growth on the tree when it still was ripening those fruits? Let me know how well it grows now that the fruits are off it. I have heard many people day that fruit production on a small tree can slow down its growth rate.
    Andrew

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Congrats on the mango, Tammy. That's really cool what you're able to do up in NoCal. I know my little trees will be fine but I freak with the slightest drop in temp :) (it's between 42-48 at night here)

Where do you go to order Cherimoya and other fruits online?

Tim

• tammysf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@stan- laverne has a lot of cherimoyas..I have a lot of seeds if you want. They grow pretty quickly.

@Tim- try dario at cherimoya.com

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Tammy,
    I was wondering if you bought any cherimoya yet? I don't think Dario is selling any yet and Calimoya web site says there not available till February.
    Andrew

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

You can purchase local chirimoyas and Atemoyas from 99 ranchmarket in Anaheim or Super King Markets in LA from Jan. to March for $1.99 a pound and not pay those exuberant prices.

Joe

• tammysf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

joe,

i have an asian market here that sells cherimoyas but really the ones i got from both cherimoya.com and calimoya.com were so much better that i no longer bother getting them from the stores..also, i get to see what varieties they have available and choose what i want to try more exotic varieties...

• rodneys
    13 years ago

I buy fruit from Karl Nejely at the Cerritos Farmer's Market. He sells bruised, sun-damaged, or otherwise unattractive cherimoyas for 1/2 off. Also, there's a Mexican couple that sells cherimoya out of their van in the parking lot outside Seafood City & the parking lot in front of Pinoy Pinay restaurant. Good prices

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville