Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socaleric

Advice on 1st Mango Tree (Kent)

SoCalEric
9 years ago

Greetings Ladies and Gents,

Very grateful to have found this forum. Just wanted to get some advice on my first mango tree. Purchase a Kent Mango from a nursery here in Riverside, CA.

I've learned that it is a Kent Mango tree from seed. It measures in at 6' with a 0.65" trunk base and has been tipped at 5'. It was in a 15g pot and i've transplanted it into a 40g pot.
My potting mixture consists of 15% sand, 40% FoxFarm Ocean Forest mix, 40% citrus/cactus potting mix, and I noticed that it has two trunks that intertwine. Will this be a problem in the future? This tree seems quite tall already. Perhaps I should buy another one (smaller) and tip it around 2-3'? This one looks like it could be a tall one.

I'm very new to this and would appreciate any feedback and not afraid of critique.

Thank You Kindly

Eric

Comments (9)

• SoCalEric
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tipped area

• SoCalEric
    Original Author
    9 years ago

twin trunks

• SoCalEric
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Intertwined

• greenman62
    9 years ago

Well, im no expert,
    but i would be very curious as to how it would perform.
    I am thinking the twin trunks could provide an advantage as to bending in the wind, and may even produce more fruit because of it.

I am wondering if the twin trunks are from the same seed, since lots of mango are polyembryonic.
    So, 1 trunk may be the clone of the parent, and the other not.
    Or,, even possibly both are not ?
    but im no expert on mango.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Two trunks is one too many..but it wont affect the health of the tree. One trunk will start to dominate. I saw a photo of Mangoes in San Diego..so close together they made one tree canopy.
    Looking at your third pic? Yeah,ones getting the edge on the other. The woody trunk is getting ahead of the still green trunk looks like.

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

I think Greenman hit on it - it's possibly a polyembrionic seed (is Kent a Poly...I've forgotten!) so I would just let them both grow and fruit and if you discover a difference in the fruits then you can decide if you want to cut one out or not.

Yeah, they look good....healthy!

MDog

• SoCalEric
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys for the comments. Upon further watering at the base, it seems it is from the same seed as the two trunks are fused together. I guess I'll keep it and see what happens.
    Just wanted to make sure since I'll be putting in a good amount of care and effort into its growth. It just seems quite tall and skinny compared to some of the other mango trees I'm seeing on GW.

• sapote
    9 years ago

or combine two trunks into one!!! No?

Because they are parallel and touching each other, let their wishes come true: make shallow open skin where the trunks will be in contacted, then tighten then up together. the bark will merge together and you have a big strong trunk with possible two different kind branches with different fruits.

Sapote

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

oh....looked up type of seed a Kent is online - it is a monoembryonic seed, so not sure why this nursery is selling Kent seedling trees, cuz it will not come true to its parent Kent....

Sorry to report.....but hey....ya never know....it still may turn out to be a good mango!

MDog