Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arcan_gw

What to do - Mango tree branches drooping badly

arcan
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I have a grafted dwarf King Thai (Maha Chanook) mango tree that I got earlier this year. I kept it in it's nursery pot too long - staked the whole time. When I finally repotted it recently and removed the stake I found out that its branches have no strength at all and droop to such and extend that I fear if I left it like that they would break from their own weight if I left them that way. Currently I have it supported by fabric between two stakes.

My question is what should I do? Please help!

The tree seems to have just to come out of dormancy in the pasty three weeks and has started putting on new growth as we come into the Australian summer. Also it's supposed to be a grafted tree but I don't see any super obvious signs of a graft like I do on my other fruit trees. The only place that it could be looks to be about 75cm up the trunk where the two main branches come out. It seems like a long way up. Is that normal for a mango tree? There has recently been new growth below this point. Should I prune it off? I'd very much appreciate any advise on how to proceed.

Comments (8)