Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karanb1r

Trip to India!!! Alphonse and other mango scion wood!!!

karanb1r
12 years ago

So I will be traveling to India soon and during my visit I was thinking about getting some scion wood to sneak back ;)

Before I do that I have a few questions to the folks out there!!

1 What are the most popular mango varieties exclusive to India??

2 I will be traveling to Punjab India. Do you know if they carry Alphonse and others?

3 I know how to graft tree scion wood but how would I store te scion wood over the plane ride? I was thinking in a slightly moist paper towel in a zip bag?

4 I live in so california and just planted my first mango tree. I was going To plant a Valencia pride but opted for a timotayo. It a variation of the kent and a newer species. Will the scion wood be compatible??

Any help would be appreciated and I will be sure to bring back many scion woods back to share !!!

-KB

Comments (14)

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Honestly, it's not worth the risk to try to bring it back with you. Especially to CA. You can buy Alphonso, and probably most of the popular Indian mango trees in the states already.

• gomango
    12 years ago

I wouldn't be thinking of breaching any quarantine laws, find out what they are and how to comply. I don't know your import laws, but I expect some time in quarantine is required, as well as a phytosanitary certificate. As Punjab is in the north it could be an opportunity to find some not so commercial varieties that may be more suited to the northern (cooler) climate. You need to take them as carry on luggage, the cargo bay is generally not insulated so they will freeze if you leave them in a suitcase. Wrapped in wet paper in a snap lock bag sounds good. Wash in a dilute bleach solution before packing and make sure it is all very clean.

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

Min. fine is $25,000 if caught. some folks bring seeds over directly or mixed in some snack or something, again we are talking pennies worth of stuff with risking $25,000 plus even prosecution. I would not risk it.

Plantogram will ship alphanso to you, a 6' tall tree for around $120 total, there are other places if they have can send you cheaper. why mess with Govt. when they are in dire need for cash and they are going out of the way to collect fines these days.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

I hate to be a party pooper, but this time of year it's actually hard to get grafts to take here in the states (unless you have a green house and can replicate the hot, humid summer weather). Keep in mind - many Indian cultivars already exist here in the states. I'd be surprised if there's a good Indian cultivar that isn't already planted out at the Fairchild Farm. You'd be better off having someone fedex you the budwood from Fairchild Farm next summer.

Jeff

• murahilin
    12 years ago

In addition to it not being worth the risk, you could possibly introduce a disease, pest or fungus that is not already present in CA and could wreak havoc on plants there.
    Mango sudden death syndrome is a perfect example of smuggled mango trees causing a big problem. Someone smuggled mango trees or budwood from Brazil to Pakistan and Oman and introduced MSDS to Pakistan. Also, don't announce your future criminal activity on the internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango sudden death syndrome

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

ahhhh free advice from a future lawyer, it's awesome!!! I was scratching my head trying to comprehend why you would announce your misdeed, but murahilin finally pointed that out...
    aww what the heck!!! I believe desimango started a thread some months back with similar interest, difference being desimango wanted to import it legally but eventually swayed due to logistics. Now imagine if everything went wrong, that's a pretty penny to pay my friend.

Tim

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

@karanb It would probably be safer to just ask around the Ca rare Fruit growers, or put a want ad in craigslist, im sure someone must have an Alphonso or other varieties in your area worth grafting.

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha thanks for all the advice i guess on my trip I will just go to have fun!!!!

Lol I can say I am going to rob the bank but unless I actually go into the bank and do it they have nothing on me :D but if I made a threat to kill someone that would be a different story!!

I'm 20 so my polisci class is still fresh in my noggin..

So this is what I shall do! I will let my timotayo get bigger and fatter and then come back here to look for scion wood!!!

-KB

• desimango
    12 years ago

Yeah, if you read my thread on all that you'd quickly realize it can get expensive very quickly. Honestly, there are quite a few excellent varieties that I haven't seen in the US at Fairchild or any other place but I haven't emailed them directly so I could be wrong. I even had a scientist friend willing to split all the costs with me as I put a mango spell on him. We'd go to lunch with a crazed fanatical look in our eyes talking about mangos. You'd think we were gonna rob a bank or something...lol

I do have other ideas so PM me or message me at abhella@sbcglobal.net. :)

Desimango

• mangodog
    12 years ago

karan - I have about a 6 X 6 foot Alphonso that's growing like a frickin' weed and I'd have scion wood to give you this spring/summer if you like. I'm out here in Palm Springs, and if you wanted to just come out and snip some, I'd be fine with that....you could take a vacation too while you're out here - lots of places around to stay! And if you're a golfer, you'd be in heaven....

MangoBenji

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone and thank you mango dog for the offer! I will have to take you up on it in the coming year!

When would be a better time to graft? I'm guessing spring

And. Should I collect scion wood in early sprig late winter and store it until spring or will I be able to cut and graft without a problem?

Lol and last question!!! What graft do you suggest to add onto a new tree? I'm guessing as soon as my new tree gives me another branch I would cleft graft it... But I was looking at some forums and people said that a veneer would be better?

Thanks again!!!
    -KB

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

The best time to graft the mango is summer (June - Aug). And you wouldn't want to store mango budwood for more than a couple of days at most. If you refrigerate it can last a couple of weeks, but your best chance of take is to do it the same day you get it.

Jeff

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

If you are ever in Phoenix Ive got Alphonso and bunch of other types.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

karanb1r

grafting mangos in Socal is extremely difficult. I would go buy one at Mimosa they are 50% off right now.

JF