Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my ornamental pineapple?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 8:43

I have bought an ornamental pineapple. It was doing fine until I watered it the first time. It was 100% dry, so I saturated the soil. I only had it for almost 2 weeks. I had it in a Northeast facing window. I'm not sure if it's the sunlight, or if it was the watering. This is my 3rd time experimenting with pineapples. I tried growing the edible kind from store bought pineapple tops but failed both times. So, now I'm experimenting with an ornamental. I'm not really good with pineapples, lol So, perhaps you can identify the problem? Thanks!

Here's a top view. You can kind of see the leaves that turned yellow and are drying up.
Ornamental Pineapple

Here's a better view, you can clearly see the problem with the leaves.
Ornamental Pineapple with visible problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my ornamental pineapple?

as a tropical plant it needs more light. you can use a high wattage CFL bulb with a reflector on a timer for a minimum of 6 hours per day.

it could also use a larger pot and well draining potting mix.

this is my indoor setup for when we get freezing temps.

o

There is a whole bromeliad forum on the site you might want to try asking in there. My short guess would be that you watered too much.

o

That is a regular pineapple that you are growing, not an different non-edible species. It was just forced to fruit at a very small size that is why the fruit is so small.

Your problem looks like either lack of light or rot caused by too much water, as both other replies have suggested.

o

The tag said "not for consumption." But I did look up what the tag said it is which is the "Mini Me" species, and it looked like a miniature version of the edible one. So, perhaps it is edible. Of course, according to the tag, this one is supposed to be red. So, I'm kind of caught in a pickle. lol

Of course, I stuck it IN the window instead of next to it and it appears to be doing much better, thank goodness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here