Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacob13_gw

Fall Update - PICTURES

jacob13
12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Here are some recent pictures of some of my Fruit trees. I was only able to take a few pictures because it got too dark before I finished taking pictures. So, here are some pictures of some trees before I put them all to bed for the winter in the Greenhouses.

The first 3 trees that I have planted out in the ground.

Left to Right - "Biew Kiew" Longan, "Sweetheart" Lychee, and "Hak Ip" Lychee#

"Biew Kiew" Longan

"Sweetheart" Lychee

"Hak Ip" Lychee - With my Dad next to the tree for the right Size/Scale of the tree

Grafted Atemoya (It is grafted, however, I think it is an Atemoya as there was a mistake in shpping).

"Satsuma" Tangerine - Tons of Tangerines, Well over 100

"Strawberry" Guava - Just Taken out of the ground and into a 30 gallon pot - About 8' to 9' feet tall.

Green Sugar Apple

"Mexicola Grande" Avocado

"Sunshine Blue" Blueberry

Weeping "Santa Rosa" Plum

Pepino Melon - Always Fruiting, About 20 right now which is nice seeing as how they are $6/lbs. in the store.

Capulin Cherry - Between the Pepino Melon & the Poha Berry

"Poha" Berry - Excellent Tasting, Always Fruiting

"Brewster" Lychee tree

"Clementine" Tangerine

Jamaican Cherry (Mutingia Calabura)

"Moro" Blood Orange Tree

Grafted Red Malay Apple

"Paulista" Jaboticaba

Green Sapote - With Lateral Branching

"Florida Sweet" Barbados Cherry

Cherry of the Rio Grande

"Thai Lessard" Sugar Apple

"Sucrier" Banana

Goji Berry

"San Pablo" Custard Apple (Grafted)

Purple Caimito

Grumichama Cherry

"Greengage" Plum

"Alphonso" Mango - Super Vigorous and Fast Growing

"Black Pearl" Wax Jambu Apple

Yellow Jaboticaba/Cabelluda - Hopefully Fruits This Next Spring

"Giant Florida Purple" Surinam Cherry

"Dr. White" Cherimoya

"Arkin" Starfruit tree

Wampi Tree - About 10' Feet tall, Needs to be Cut Way Down

Larger Jaboticaba

The Next Couple of Pictures Are of My Rollinia Trees. You Can See the Vast Differences in the 2 tree and Their Growth Habit and Structure.

1st Rollinia Tree - Shorter and Wider

2nd Rollinia Tree - Taller and Leggier

"Prolific" Sapodilla Tree (The tree to the Right)

Here is the Same Sapodilla 8 Months Ago. It did nothing for 2 years, except almost die, then exploded this past Spring and Summer.

"Lapins" Cherry Tree - Large Tree in the Background

A Shot Looking Into the Smaller Greenhouse with About 40 Differnt Plants Inside. Everyting is Really Green & Healthy

Abiu

Blackberry Jam Fruit (Rhandia Formosa)

Cambuca

Madrono

Achachairu Plants

"Black Gold" Jakfruit Tree (Grafted & Super Healthy)

"Manila" Mango - Seedling

"Saludo" Canistel tree

Yellow Rambutan tree

Pedalai Trees (2)

Red Rambutan Tree

Spanish Lime/Mamoncillo Tree

Abiu Tree

"Posh-Te" Annona Scheloroderma

"Ross" Sapote

"Fairchild" Illama and Bacupari Plants

Well, I hope you liked my pictures I will try and post the rest when I get the chance to take more pictures.

Thanks,

Jacob

Comments (12)

• zands
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Everything looks great
    I have a few tangerines, they are my favorite citrus.
    Can you please tell me what size pot your Satsuma is in?
    Potting soil mix?
    Fertilization schedule?
    Do you use foliar sprays or iron drenches?

What a great yield for your Satsuma plus you were able to get that strawberry guava into a pot without much damage.

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

everything's looking so green and beautiful, Jacob.
    Love how Prolific sap's bounced back, did you have it in the green house first 2years vs NOW?

thanks for the awesome update my friend

Tim

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

Why did you pull the strawberry guava up? I was thinking about getting one of those as they do well in my area. Do you like the taste? How does it compare to true Guavas?

Everything looks nice...

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Thanks for all the nice compliments.

Zands - The Satsuma is in what is probably a 20 gallon pot. It has been in there a couple of years so I am not so sure of the Potting Mix. I do fertilize with a slow release Osmocote type fertilizer every 3 months and the occasional Iron Drench. It is a great little tree and the fruit is Great. As for the Strawberry Guava, it wasn't as hard to take out as I thought and we got it out with the root ball relatively intact. We put it into what is approximately a 30 gallon pot. It dropped some leaves initially but it has since bounced back and is doing great. It has been about 1 month since transplanting and it is still alive so I think it should be okay.

esco_socal - Thanks Again, The Sapodilla was actually outside. It did okay outside the first year, it just didn't grow any. Then the 2nd year, is when it almost died. Then it bounced back and started to grow nicely, still outside, and that's when I put it into the Greenhouse and it did even better.

melikeeatplants - I took out the Strawberry Guava because I want to sell it. It had been in the ground for over 20 years. Since space is such a huge commodity, and it is not one of my favorite fruits, it had to go. It actually produces like crazy, and the fruits are big and good tasting, it's just that I would rather have a Mango or Lychee tree in its place. As far as how it compares to true guavas, I guess it is kind of similar in texture to some, but I am not so sure as far as taste since there are so many different varieties of Guavas out there.

Thanks Again,

Jacob

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Come on Jacob...is that all you got? Actually, quite an impressive collection. Not sure what you are going to do in the winter time once these potted trees get more size, but in the meantime, you look like you got it under control. That tangerine is incredible. Looks like it is going to fruit itself to death. Thanks for taking the time to post this update.

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Awesome collection!

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Jacob,

Beautiful layout, everything is growing great! I agree with you about the strawberry guava I axed mine this summer - actually, I gave it away. I love to see your mangos, sapodillas and flaboyants when you have time. Thank you for sharing it with us.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Good Lord Jacob! What will you do with them all when they get to even half their mature size?

The happiest collection of plants I've ever seen, hands down. You should have been "in the business" my friend,
    and probably living in South Florida with a botanical Ph.D. after your name.....they are all very impressive specimens...

Does the rest of Santa Barbara know of your secret passion????

LOL - keep it up......mangoarfie

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Very Impressive.... !

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Jacob,

Excellent pictures, everything looks so healthy. Great job on maintaining all your trees especially the container plants. We should meet up again sometime and trade, I got a bunch of new interesting perennial vegetables. Btw, did you have success with the Acai seeds?

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Thanks Again for all of your compliments.

Joe - Thank you my friend. I will post pictures of my Mangos in the next few days. I have a few Flamboyant trees and 4 Sapodillas from the seeds you gave me. They are doing great but have stopped growing since it has cooled down. They are still pretty small but healthy, I will posts some pics soon.

Mango Perro - Thanks.......only a few people know about my secret garden.

Marinfla - Gracias

Nullzy - Can you e-mail me your address so I can send you that Arizona Purple. I got the Acai seeds to germinate, they are just growing incredibly slow. They are about 2 inches but healthy. I have them in the Greenhouse but are still slow to grow. I'll keep you updated.

- Jacob

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow Jacob, you've been busy adding to your collection! Everything is looking great and green as always, keep it up.
    Oh and dang you, you pointed out a few more trees I need to add to my collection. :)

-Ethan

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County