Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Colombian Yellow Pitaya

Posted by jalilu Sunset Zone 23/24 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 11:24

I would like to grow Colombian Yellow Pitaya (Selenicereus megalanthus) in our yard (sandy soil) but I am not sure if this plant can survive rainy winters. Would red fruit varieties adapt better to our weather than the yellow ones?

In which season these plants bloom and give fruit in California?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Colombian Yellow Pitaya

im certianly no expert, ive been trying to grow several, and have already lost several, but maybe you can learn from my loss
they dont like thier roots wet for extended periods, at least when they are small
i would make sure the soil is fast draining, or, even build it up to a mound...
sand is good, but you also need some compost, or some kind of carbon
usually that holds water, so its a tradeoff, thats why i say build up the soil to a mound or something.
my yard is low, and even with sandy soil, my papaya get root rot unless they (roots) are a couple inches higher than the rest of the yard

like i said, im no expert on dragons though

o

• Posted by jalilu Sunset Zone 23/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 7:39

Thanks Greenman! I will follow your advice. I just hope that the Colombian Pitaya will have enough time to ripen. According to what I read, it requires 5 month of warm weather.

With regard to rain, I believe that it will not be a problem. After posting my inquiry, my mother reminded me of a dragonfruit that was growing wild in the garden (4 acres) of an abandoned house next to ours. This plant bloomed but never fruited, as there was no other one to pollinate it.

Five years ago, a Spanish developer put down this house and transformed the entire property into a residential complex with seven-storey buildings after removing all trees, some of them more than a 100-year old! I miss the tawny owls, bee-eaters, and other birds that use to perch on these trees.

o
Selenicereus Megalanthus

does anyone have an ORANGE dragonfruit cutting to trade for a rooted purple dragonfruit?

o

i came here hoping someone had them...
LOL - i was looking also
oh well...

Jalilu,
i may try growing from seed.
Have you tried ?
ive grown other cacti, but not dragons.

i found cheap seeds here.
they have yellow and purple...
http://stores.ebay.com/blissgrow/

at the link below, they have cuttings, live plants etc...

Here is a link that might be useful: EBAY dragonfruit Yellow

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 19:44

Greeman,

Thanks for the advice. I purchased 2 yellow Colombian Pitayas and 2 reds (Hyalocereus Purpusii) plants. I planted them in ground and they are doing fine.

o

Wait...I need two in order for them to fruit?

o

You need to hand pollinate in order to get fruits

o

Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 11:14

Gama Garden, the yellow Colombian Pitaya is self-fertile i.e. you don't need another one for pollination but you'll have to hand pollinate the flowers yourself for best results. There are a number of videos on Youtube.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here