Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

A pleasant surprise!

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

I know it has been a while since I actually posted anything here but now I have a good reason. The temps in western NY have been quite unusual lately. I actually have most of my tropical fruits outdoors right now. Temps have been in the mid 60;s and night time temps in the low 50's.

Anyhow, my Maha Chinook(bought from Frankies 2 years ago) mango is going thru it's 3rd growth flush for the year. I have been optimistic in hoping that it would bloom and fruit some day. When I got my tree, I didn't know that Frankies had such a hard time with getting there's to bloom and fruit.

A few days ago, I was checking out all the new growth flushes. I spotted what I thought was just another branch coming on but it actually was a tiny inflo! Within 2 or 3 days it had dropped. I suspect that my HPS chord had hit it and snapped it off....you can bet I was swearing! The tree itself is now over 3ft tall, with this growth flush, I bet it will end up being closer than 4ft.

My Carrie that I bought from Plantogram last winter is also going thru a growth flush. I found that this variety is a VERY slow grower for me. I pruned back both mango varieties around mid August and within a few weeks the Maha started growing. The Carrie however just stalled out but now I also have a nice big inflo on it.

I need to be able to spray both trees with a 3 in 1 insecticidal soap. I wanted to get opinions from the mango enthusiasts here first before I go ahead and spray.

Will this spray hurt the developing leaves, branches, and inflos?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments (11)

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

The best bet I would do is not to spray anything aganist the new growth. Even neem oil sometimes hurts, you wouldn't see the damage right away, but a couple of days afterwards. The only thing I have been spraying is the alcohol, even the 70% is safe, because they evaporate so quickly. But sometimes, they wash off the wax off the leaves. This happened to my gardenia.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Yellow thumb. thanks for the tip. I have used rubbing alcohol before but I found that it isn't effective against all pests. I grow almost 200 tropicals indoors(including the dozen or so tropical fruit trees I now have), and I need something stronger that will not only kill the pests but also help prevent them from returning.

Now I did spray. I actually sprayed my Maha Chinook 3 days ago and so far so good. I have it outdoors along with Carrie and the Maha continues to grow strong. No spots on the leaves, and no BUGS!

Growing tropicals under my 600 watt HPS light has really made the diffrence between what thrives and what dies! I have never been able to successfully over winter a mango tree until last winter when I got this light(Ohh looking back on my older posts about my Maha Chinook, I found that I actually have only had it for little over a year now.).

I realize that there are some very lucky people out there who don't have to worry about supplemental lighting. Jay, who has his own greenhouse, and Kristi who has a HUGE morning room.

Do you also grow mango or other tropical fruit trees? Has it been challenging getting them into Canada?

Thanks again,
    Andrew

• Monyet
    12 years ago

Andrew when do you bring your tree's in? Do you have a green house? I like to grow some tropicals including mango's, i live in zone 6b. I am growing two Page manderin tree's for 5 years now and feel that i can handle mango's.
    I need more guideance to get started.I don't have a greenhouse but i bring my tree's in my converted workshop which is heated and is part of my house.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HEy Bob.. nope, no greenhouse! I am really hoping that by the time I would need one, I would be living in S. Florida!

If you can grow citrus, you can grow mango. IMO, my citrus are more finicky to grow than my mango trees. I will say this though. I have been trying for many years to get mango trees to do well for me over the winter. I have killed plenty...probobly 6 at least!

What really made my luck turn around was the addition of the 600 watt HPS light. A few people thought I was crazy for choosing an HPS instead of the halide. For me the HPS has been awesome. I turn it on for about 10 hours a day, sometimes longer, and my mango trees flourish over the winter. They seem to have less issues with bug problems but last year I lost my 2nd lancetilla from a mold problem.

I hope this helps ya and if you have anymore questions, shoot me out an email and I will fo what I can to help you out.

Andrew

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Andrew,

Not too hard to get a mango tree here in Canada. But the variety available all depends what the nursery will buy in the spring time. You have no choice. The trees are from Pine Island nusery, excellent trees indeed.

I do have tons of tropical fruit trees and lots of Citrus plus many other fragrant plants. The tropical fruit tree especially the mango will need supplement lights to survive. Unlike Citrus, they don't go dormant. No lights, they will starve. That's why I have a 1000W MH light, produces tons of light, I have over 10 fruit trees under it, including a 4 feet tall mango. The mango immeidately flushed with new growth with long leaves.

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

That's super andrew you have an inflo!!!Why did you choose hps?Hps is flowering no?I use a 400w mh for my mango tree.How much did you paid for the tree form plantogram and from Frankies?I contacted plantogram and he told me it was 180$ for a 3 gallon mango tree instead of 65$ for a tree from plantogram.

Hey yellowthumb!Where did you get your mango tree?I live same as you in Canada ,but close to Montreal.I already have one bought from Flora exotica and it's a mallika varietie 3.5 feet tall and I had no new growth yet and no inflo too.Maybye it's because I repot it in the end of August and now I have some BUGS!I think they are springtails and I don't know how to get rid of them.Any help would be greatly apprecied.

Thanks in advance
    Sam

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Here's some picture of my tree and my setup made out of a high-bay fixture you know the lights in the gyms lol.It only cost 20$ for the fixture thought.I hope in return you'll send me some Andrew and Yellowthumb.I want to see your inflo Andrew!

Here's some pictures

tree

setup

setup

overall tree

Samuel Forest

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Samuel,
    Thanks for the pic...and the info! Why didn't I think of using a light fixture like that!! Your Mallika looks great. You just got that this year right? I remember you talking about what variety you were going to get.

Looks like your mango all ready has a great shape to it. I think that is the most frustrating aspect of growing mango outside of subtropical areas. I have only had my tree for little over a year now. IT has grown tremendously buy I know if it were in FL or CA it would have grown even more than what it has.

What I am finding to be a problem is getting good air ciculation between all my plants. Add the heat and light quality from the 600 watt HPS and I have the perfect enviroment for insect and pest infestations.

This year I am splitting up my tropicals even more. I am using a small spare bedroom and also my basement. I have to otherwise the insect problem will become too much to deal with. Last year I lost a lancetilla mango that I got an awesome deal on. I only paid $25 for it and because I had so many trees grouped together under that light, I ended up with sooty mold. That mold problem killed the lancetilla, an Oro Blanco grapefruit, my 'Day' avocado(which was blooming size), and some other tropicals. This year I sprayed all my tropicals 3x's with a 3 in 1 insecticidal soap. I really didn't want to but I couldn't run into that problem again.

I will try and get pictures of the mango trees up here. The zoom lens on my digital is frozen, and because of that I cannot get a pic. Maybe I can get a decent pic with my IPAD.

Andrew

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Yes,I bought the tree in the end of August when I discover flora exotica and tree is suppose to come from pine island nursery and it has a great shape because I tipped the branches,but I had already a great shape when I bought it.It cost me only 65$ and I pretty surprised about it because I contacted PIN and for the tree in total they would have charge me 250$.This spring I'll get another one this time in a 7 gallon pot flora told me they could and that they will charge me 125$,but I don't know what varietie I will choose yet.I dont't to if I should order from plantogram instead because his 3gallon mangoes are pretty big ,but again he charges more money like 180$(sorry I made a mistake in my first I mix up the nursries).I want to know how much did it cost you to order from plantogram and if I should order from him.Thanks for the comments on my mango tree ,but it only grew where I tipped and sprintails makes me mad...

I feel sorry about Lencetilla,hopefully it didn't cost really much.You so much trees that diseases transfer rapidely ,but a passion is a passion even me I would never trow in the trash one of mine tomake place.Hopefully I just have a mango for now and he's only the one on the grow light.For the septup if you want to make there are some that are 1000w you just need to find one.Email me if you want my help because mine have been aprouved by a gouvernement electriciant so it respect the kind if laws of the electronic in Canada ,so it won't burn my house lol.

Sam

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sam,
    You said you live in 5B right? Can you share with us what state your in? I cannot believe that Mickey would charge you $180 for shipping. I know a guy from this forum who bought many trees from him and he didn't pay that much for shipping and he lives in CA! Did you actually talk to Mickey yourself?

I paid a grand total of $80. I think the shipping was around $30 but it also depends on how fast you want to get your tree. I ordered my Carrie in january or February of last year when shipping isn't normally safe! Not only does he guarentee safe delivery but I still say he is VERY affordable. You can order a 3gal tree from him and have that tree be well over 4ft tall!

I really would look into Plantogram Sam, Mickey makes deals with his customers that are practically impossible to beat! Not only that but he guarentess his shipments so if something happens, you don't have to worry about being out a ton of money. Now most people here will say that it is better to wait till spring to buy a tree so you can acclimate the tree to the warm outdoor weather BUT with your light set up, I would say you would be more than fine to buy anytime.

PLEASE JUST CALL MICKEY AND TALK WITH HIM! Do this before you make up your mind. Others here have thought he was really expensive but after ordering from him last year, I know he will be my 1st choice for most tropical fruit trees.

Good luck!

Andrew

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Mickey charges me 80$ for a photosanitary cerificate to make it pass to Canada and for the shipping it's 74.81$ or 119.73$ for the 2 trees and these prices are the cheapest he could afford me.He told me too that it will take 6 to 10 days for the tree to arrive.The tree is 50$ and he can give me in my order a free 1 gallon fruit tree, so this is a total of 210$...I don't know yet if I sould order for him.I could order from flora exotica and get a 7 gallon tree that is 65$ and the shipping is 60$ and I don't need worry about getting a certificate and for a total of 125$.The tree will be I think higher than Mickey's one if it is in a 7 gallon pot and all the fruit trees flora exotica have come from pine island nursery.

P.S: The mango tree I bought tha you see in the picture is a 3 gallon and 3.5 feet tall and it cost me 65$.I went buy it in Montreal in the flora exotica nursery ,so I could see the tree before buying it and it was not my order he just order trees when he wants an sell them.He can reserve trees for you ,but he gets some anyway.

Andrew, I'm from Canada in the state of Quebec near montreal if this can situate you.

And sorry if my english is bad, my first language is French.

Sam