Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guava Fungi?

Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 11:47

I have two guava with a fungus of sorts with BOTH sides of the leaves affected. The top side has a black type while the bottom is a white type.

I've sprayed with copper, and Neem. I heard that a "sulphur" spray will work to kill it but I haven't found a sulphur spray locally.

Guava_leaf2

Guava_leaf1

If the pics don't come out, here's a link to the host page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnappi2011/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guava Fungi?

The top looks like sooty mold and the bottom looks like the result of white fly.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 21:52

I thought it was sooty mold and white fly. I guess Since Neem has been inefective I'll have to try insecticidal soap, then Volck oil. Thanks.

If anyone has other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

o

• Posted by boson Delray BeachFlorida (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 22:36

Hi,

A few years ago I had some small Garcinia seedlings. Their leaves became black on both sides. I read about this milk-solution (I prefer organic stuff). I drenched the seedlings and rubbed off all the black sooth (it's was very sticky and hard to get off). I repeated the treatment a few times, and eventually the plants perked up. From your picture it looks the same that my Garcina plants had.

Tomas

o

When I go to your host page and zoom in, it appears I can see a couple whitefly on the leaf. Be careful with Volck, or any oil, as it can cause burn damage in the Florida sun (plus may not be that effective either). Whitefly can at time be difficult to control, especially when it migrates from another local source/host. Did this just start ? Do you have any other plants around with whitefly ? Sometimes the best control for whitefly are its natural enemies, and insecticides can kill those beneficial insects.

Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here