Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dasheri Mango

Posted by MangoDoc none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 12:30

Does anyone here on the forum know where in Florida I might find a Dasheri Mango tree for sell?

Zills doesn't have them and Gary is out of the Country, and Richard at Excalibur doesn't carry them either.

Looking for a 3gal or 7gal if someone has one.

Thanks, Joe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dasheri Mango

MangoDoc,

I'd be interested also if you find a source. I've heard it called Duseheri also.

Some good reading:

http://www.horticultureworld.net/mango-india.htm

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mango_ars.html

o

Its not propagated by any of the major nurseries in Florida to my knowledge, and the number of known Dasheri trees in the state can probably be counted on one hand. You would probably have to graft it or get someone to do it for you.

Its not even in the listed collections of the USDA or TREC. The Fruit and Spice Park has a tree listed on their old website as 'Dasher', could be Dasheri without the 'i'. FTBG may also have a Dasheri in their collection but you would have to inquire with them. There may be some surviving trees in the Manatee County area on the west coast from earlier introductions made there.

Cultivars directly introduced from India have historically been disappointing in Florida though (Malika, a Neelum x Dasheri cross, being an exception). So you may be better off with something else anyways.

o

Dont know where you can get one (will find out). The name is Dashehari.I think you have one already, do you have a Malika (parentage is neelum x dashehari). If I had a choice my pick would be Anrapoli which is a dwarf tree, fiberless but small fruit & late.

o

Thanks for the responses. I have a mallika and have also read it was a Neelum x Dasheri cross and while most people say it's the best of both worlds, my personal experience in India tells a different tale. Boy, I can't say for certain which varieties I've tried but I can say that quite a few of them have been better than anything I've been able to purchase in California. Most family members would concur. Now, I haven't purchased any of the very expensive imports available but I'm not willing to pay $35 for a small box of mangos.

o

Broward Rare Fruit and Veg Council has one. I'm sure Fairchild Farm has one as well.

Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here