Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Half of Sale of Mangos at Mimomsa in LA

mangodog
13 years ago

Hi Gang - just wanted to let everyone in CA know - Mimosa Nursery in E. Los Angeles is currently having a 1/2 off sale on Mango trees (and I think lots of other tropicals) till the end of November. I was there yesterday and got a $320, 20 gallon, gorgeous 7' Alphonso for $160. they have mostly large 15-20 gallon varieties. I also got a 3 in 1 grafting of Nam Doc Mai, Haden and Valencia Pride...

Anyway, their address for anyone that doesn't have it is 6270 Allston Street in Los Angeles CA (90022) and the phone number is 323-722-4543.

Talked to Gilbert Guyenne, one of the owners, who noticed his name on a printout of some down-loaded mango researchwork I was carrying. Turns out he was the progagator of the Costa Rica Mango variety back in 1980 when he was plunging into his new hobby! Cool....huh????

I've attached a photo of my 7 yr. old Manila, cuz i think simon or someone asked for it awhile ago....the photo looks small on my preview, but the tree is about 12 ft high by 10 feet wide.....

cheers everyone and have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING......Mangodog

Here is a link that might be useful: Manila Mango Palm Springs

Comments (36)

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry - that should have read HALF OFF!!!!!!!!!!!

M-dog

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Are those prices typical for California? The prices in FL are bit cheaper.

I would like to see how that three in one tree does in a few years. Its possible that the Valencia Pride would take over the entire tree and you'd end up with a tree that is predominantly VP only. Not sure though, that's why I'm interested to see its progress after a few seasons.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, murahilin, I've never purchased a 20 gallon mango plant before, but the pot is like 2 feet wide by 16 inches deep and both plants have 1 1/4 inch thick trunks. When I ordered 3 gallon plants from Pine Island Nursery and had to pay all the shipping and California plant inspection fees it was like over $100 a plant, so to me this was a bargain (though i must say, the plants from PIN are most beautifully shaped and healthy looking!)

I also think that you guys have more places to buy them at which brings the cost down....besides Mimosa orders them from Florida so there's your markup right there.

I'm headed to Ong's Nursery in a couple weeks to see what they have....

Regarding the 3 in one, I know what you are saying and I will have to prune back the fast growth of the VP branch to give the others a shot, so we'll see what a few seasons worth of work produces.....

• tammysf
    13 years ago

mangodog,

great tree....very jealous. it is a great size.

how big is your new tree? i wish i lived closer to pic up some trees...

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Good for you mangodog! I saw those Alfonsos a month ago when they had fruits and I ate a couple of them. I was tempted to buy one of them but I already have an Alfonso. that's a good price for California, you wont find anything better in Ong's. Mimosa are the distributors for PIN in California and they receive two large shipment from them in spring and summer so these are the best prices you are going to get. The 3 in one tree sounds gimmicky and I concur with murahilin but we will have to wait for a couple years for the results. Laverne nursery is the king of tropical fruit trees in California but they pale in comparison to PIN.

Joe

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks...tammy....i'm going to try and take a pic of the alphonso I bought so you can see the size of that....and Joe - I agree with you and murahilin - that 3-in-1 maybe be tricky to keep under control, but I just couldn't resist not having to buy 3 trees with my limited space.....you can be sure i'll keep you guys posted over the years....

mangowoofie

• swrancher
    13 years ago

"Are those prices typical for California? The prices in FL are bit cheaper."

As a recent transplant from Walnut Creek, California to South Florida I noticed that just about everything is cheaper in Florida and sometimes a lot cheaper. The only exceptions I noticed are prepared coffee and homeowners/car insurance, but for everything else add 25 -30%.

• newgen
    13 years ago

Are they a lot of smaller plants left? About 10 gallon or smaller?

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no, newgen....only the 15 - 20 gallon plants, but then they have some in 3 gallon, but then those are like $50-60 dollars and not on sale.....guess they just skipped the middle sizes....I picked up a 15 gallon Keitt, just a beauty, yesterday, for 80 bucks.

jfernandez - I can't seem to get to LaVerne being told they are ONLY a wholesaler at Lowe's, and emailing them to ask to come by as well.....how did you get your foot in the greenhouse door?

Boy - it's been near freezing these last 3 days in many parts of california, hasn't it? Way way too early for January nights in Nov.!!!!

mangopooch

• newgen
    13 years ago

I stopped by Mimosa's yesterday, pretty all the plants that I want are half off. Lychees, longans, mangoes, and some other ones too. My car is too small, so I plan to return Monday with a minivan to take afew home, some for other friends too. Thanks for the heads up about this sale, it ends on the 30th.

• newgen
    13 years ago

I just remember this price, to entice you guys, Pine Island has a 15-gallon Sweet Heart lychee for $125. Mimosa's sale price is $90. If any of you Nor Cal people want me to pick up a particular plant for you, I can do that, and keep it in Bakersfield for you.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Folks don't be fool by Mimosa's sale. The trees are leftover from this year and last years inventory which they've repotted. So those mango's that you see in 15g they got from PIN in the spring as 3 gallons. The 20g mangos are last years leftover 7 gallons. If you notice when you drive up there is a space where they stage their trees and repotted them,that area is not open to the public but you can see them reppoting them from Whittier Blvd. How do I know this? I know someone that works there.

mangodog-

Laverne is not open to the public. I have never tour their facilities. You can do a special order in Armstrong nursery. you can purchase a 15g Thompson,Glenn, Haden,Gold Nugget etc. - specially grafted for our marginal climate - on manila rootstock in their facilities for $80.

Joe

• newgen
    13 years ago

jfernandez: I didn't measure how tall their "15-gallon" plants are, but they looked alright. If they got them as "3-gallons", those plants have grown since they were acquired since last spring. I don't know if I can get these plants at this price elsewhere, shipping for this size plants is pretty expensive, and you don't know what you're getting buying through the mail. That's my concern. Thanks for the clarification.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

No problem newgen I understand. As you know our winter has not started and we've had freezes in Northern and Central California. I love PIN mangos but they are grafted on turpertine rootstock and in California, including Socal, we have had some problem nursing them through the winters. I've had extensive conversation with mango experts in my local crfg in Orange County, in fact I have visited a mango orchard of one of our member in Anaheim Hills, and most of them have grafted their Florida varieties on to their Manilas. I have also spoken to the foremost experts of mangos in California, Jim Neitzel and Leo Manuel from San Diego and they have done the same. Mangos in California are tricky so be careful how you spend your money.

Joe

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

they use turpentine here because it is the most nematode resistant. you do not have nematodes in California. I wonder why turpentine does not fare as well as manilla, do you think its a cold tolerance variation between turpentine and manilla?

ive noticed most SoCal mangos are asian seedlings

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JF - I could believe what you are saying - the soil on the top of the 20 gallon mangos looks awful new and loose! But then what newgen says seems also true - that would be quite a growth spurt to get as big as they are now from 3 gallon containers this last spring!!! If what you say is true, they must have a secret growth formula or something

I need to send a couple pics....newgen I'll do it early tomorrow so maybe you can see what they look like before you make your sojourn down south - they do seem nice sized to me!

....the turpentine vs. the manila rootstock is interesting stuff. I've just started to graft this year onto my second manila as I don't need more of those anymore, so I guess at least that I intuited correctly!

And regarding LaVerne/Armstrong - wish I knew that before .....well...still got room for a couple more, so let me see what Ong looks like in a couple weeks, then I'll reevaluate.....

Nice to have a knowledgeable shoulder like yours to lean on JF (for California anyway)....i'm still a little too eager and green (!) into this mango frenzy I'm on....

Mango Don't-Touch-My-Roots Dog

• newgen
    13 years ago

Wow, mango orchard in Anaheim Hills? I visit my parents there a couple times a month. Thanks for the information about the rootstock. I have 1 mango tree that's been inground here in Bakersfield for 3 years, it survived each winter OK.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here's a couple pics of my Mangos purchased at Mimomsa...the larger Alphonso is about 6 1/2 feet high and the Keitt is about 6 feet (that one was $80 - the Alphonso was $162.50)

I have to apparently post them separately - so the Alphonso first....

mangodog

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...and the Keitt Mango....

mangodawg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Nice photos Mangodog,
    some healthy looking trees. Some of the larger mango trees they had for sale Mimosa had trunks the diameter of my wrist. I imagine they do pot up last years stock into bigger pots (like we all should do) but many of their big trees are older or from LARGE airlayers. They had a very tempting enormous Black Pearl wax jambu tree with a cluster of ripe fruit on it for $150 (on sale) last time I was there.

One drawback, some of their grafted plants dont have cultivar names listed just 'grafted jak, atemoya, mamey, etc.'

all in all a good nursery,
    -Ethan

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hello All,

I was just at Mimosa last week as well and was so tempted to buy another Mango Tree. If in fact they were all last years leftovers....so what, they are really big, 6 to 7 feet with some really thick trunks. Much bigger than we could get through the mail and for much cheaper.

Everything is potted up as they grow eventually anyways. They could have been 1 gallons last year, but if they are big enough to go into a 20 gallon this year, it is alright with me. All in all, they are a pretty good deal in my book. Especially since ordering a small 3 gallon Mango from PIN would cost us folks here in California close to over $100.00.

- Jacob

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm with you guys - I thought it all pretty healthy looking stock and decently priced for the 1/2 off sale. I went back on Saturday to pick up one more plant and realized I probably should have wandered around even more.....afraid I might have missed something

But I am curious about my upcoming trip to Ong's down in San Diego, the weekend after this one....

mangopup

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Mangopup,
    Ong's is a pretty amazing place, the amount of plants fit into one space is incredible. He is by no means cheap but has some great plants at reasonable prices. If it is possible, maybe call and make sure Quang (sp?) is going to be there. He is the owner and really knows his stuff.

I've been trying to convince my wife we need to take the family to San Diego to go to the Zoo, WAP, Sea World or something (so I can go by Ong's again). She is not falling for it.

have fun,
    -Ethan

• tammysf
    13 years ago

mangodog,

very healthy looking trees...the keitt looks REALLY great and hopefully you will get fruit the 1st year.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, tammy.....

ethan - i did call a few days ago and will be there on a saturday - a lady (his wife?) said they are open and available on weekends, and by appt. on weekdays...I didn't understand her english too well, so I'll just have to wander and hopefully Quang will be there - i've heard he is knowledgeable....looking for just 2 more mango trees, small ones...and then I'm DONE (he says with his lying eyes!)

crazymangopupster

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoK

Manila mangos are the most successful mangos in Socal. We have had many success stories with Manila that's why Laverne nursery uses them as stock. There is no conclusive evidence or field studies like you guys have in Florida. We don't have a Dr. Campbell or Dr. Crane analyzing data we rely on backyard growers like legendary Paul Thompson (founder of CRFG). I can not give you a definite answer but from the Mango grove I saw in Anaheim Hills I can tell you that the grower had about 15 different varieties (on a hillside) on Manila rootstock. The grower also had several other varieties, on turpentine, but they were dwarves about 4-6 feet. All were mature trees, 25-30 year old, that produce hundreds of mangos per year.

Mangodog-

Great looking trees! I'm off tomorrow I think I'll drop by Mimosa. BWT, Mimosa started to use Manila stock. If you notice their smaller ( 2 feet) trees are grafted on Manilas.

I agree with everyone here Mimosa's prices can't be beat. Ong's is a nice place to visit I got my Mallika from Quan he is a cool dude. Ask him to show you his album so you can see all of his customers success stories.

Joe

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Joe - I concur about the Manila in socal - mine (my first) is now 7 years old and going gangbusters.....I'd LOVE to see this grove of Mangos in the Anaheim Hills - is the guy open to visits????

And a quick Paul Thompson question - I just bought a Timotayo Mango at Green Arrow Nursery in North Hills (the SF Valley) and was sent a document describing the mango's historical information by LaVerne Nurseries stating that Tim Thompson (of Camarillo)was this varieties creator....
    are they related?

Gary

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Hey Mangoperro,

I dropped by Mimosa this morning and got a few plants. You guys have been a terrible influence now I have to explain it to my wife when she gets home. BTW, are you a CRFG member? If you are I might be able to get you a tour.

Joe
    Glen

Green Sapote

Flamboyan

Carrie

• newgen
    13 years ago

jfernandez: I'm a CRFG member, let me know if and when you can arrange a tour of the Anaheim Hills mango yard. I see you have an avocado tree too. I'm totally jealous. I've killed 4 avocado trees in the past 3 years, so sadly I've given up on them. The leaves all turned brown and died with black branches. 8-((

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joe - yeah man.... that's the heavy sucker Mangos from Mimosa! To plant them, i've imagined I will make a big oversized hole, put the plant still in the pot in it and then cut away the pot - I can't imagine trying to take them out first.....

and no i'm not yet a CRFG member - that will get me in the Anaheim Hills Mango yard? Guess I'll go to their website and see what it entails....

another Q - do you think Carrie is better than Julie if you had the choice?

And lastly - how many mango trees do you have now????

mangofur

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

hey mangochien,

mon frances est tres faible....please respond in ingles my french sucks. Mimosa had bigger trees than my Glenn! They have a VP and a Lancetilla on 20g that's 10 feet. I have seven mango trees but I think I'm going to chop my manila down to 5 feet and graft my favorite mango on it. I can't guarantee you a tour if you join but I'm sure it gets you a set closer. The first question the grower ask when I call him for a tour, are you a member?. Regarding Carrie mango I have no idea, I haven't tried the fruit, you need to ask Adrian he has two Carries and he is from Socal. Mangodog, just email and we can talk about the Anaheim Hills grove.

Joe

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Newgen-

Go ahead and drop me a line and I'll make arrangements for you and mangodog to tour the Anaheim Hills mango grove.

Joe

• newgen
    13 years ago

Joe,

I won't be able to come down probably until January, so I'll drop you an email next month. Thanks a lot for the offer!

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...and I can coordinate a trip in January as well....I went on the CRFG website and will join shortly....does joining as an "electronic" member mean I'll get every correspondence sent over the ewaves....or did it mean simple paying for the membership electronically - I wasn't quite sure????

anyway, I too will drop you an email, too, Mr. LaHabra and we'll go from there, amigo.....

mangowagger

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Ok newgen and dog,

I'm working on it but I can control the dates be prepare to come down on a weekday.

Joe

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Newgen, did you happen to pick up a Michelia there? He has quite a lot and there's always a few that are at least flowering at this time...I believe.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional