Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Ground Cover

hmhausman
12 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for a ground cover that meets the following specifications:

1. It can grow without much sun, under the canopy of mango trees

2. It can stand occasional standing water after heavy rains.

3. It can be walked on without causing too much damage to it.

4. It can be mowed, if necessary when it gets lanky.

5. It likes mucky soil

6. Is tolerant of South Florida's temps and humdity.

The area under my main mango growing area is rather mucky and muddy and the St. Augustine grass that was growing around the trees while the trees were smaller and/or after they were severely pruned back after Hurrican Wilma, is now gone leaving a rather muddy mess. Any suggestions would be appreicated. I suppose mulch could be an answer, but I think that mulch may get pretty funky when the standing waters come.

Harry

Comments (14)

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

What about that peanut grass that Whitman had in his yard? There's also that grass that Bryan in PR planted on his lanes.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Perennial peanut?

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

Have you considered a moss? You might want to check your nursery to see if there are any mosses that can live in Florida. They like all the ocnditions you have and their big love is moisture.

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

I don't think the perennial peanut will grow in that much shade. I think your best option might be to use stone instead of mulch. I can't think of anything that will grow under your mango trees in the areas that I think you are talking about.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Harry,
    I think you're asking for too much. Forgot the ground cover and get a set of those rubber overalls they wear in swamps. You'll never have to worry about mud again.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

^or plant saw-grass... lol

• gnappi
    12 years ago

I had a low spot in my yard that had a similar problem but it wasn't very large at ~6' square. I dumped quite a bit of tree trimmer mulch and sandy soil from digging holes from planting trees there and the problem went away. It's likely that I forced the water onto the condo property in back of this spot as my ground is higher now.

They have rather fine sand and I have not noticed that they have standing water now so all is well.

So maybe a solution for you could be to raise the area and force it to leech to an area with better drainage?

Gary

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

Oh that's an interesting point. If you have an area that is too bog like, you may want to do what others have done to dry up land. Plant cattails.

In some tropical groves (though these are huge production trees) they will use lava rocks on the surface.

If your main goal is weed prevention, you may want to rethink the plan. Farmers have realized that weeds don't actually suck everything out of the soil (in orchards), they prevent soil erosion, and can be turned back into the soil to provide nutrients.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the suggestions.....especially you, Alexi. Sawgrass? I'd plant water lillies and lotus plants before sawgrass if it were that bad....LOL. I found this article I attached with a google search. I'd be interested in anyone's experienced comments on any of the choices that will take full shade, designated with FS for that condition.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground Cover for South Florida

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

^Nice article.

I was joking about the saw grass. :-)

SPIDERWORT (Tradescantia ohiensis) Grows to maximum 18 inches. Quickly spreading fast growing evergreen ground cover with either blue or white flowers. Prefers moist site. Grows in full shade.

I got that info from this link: http://www.floridanativeplants.com/article_shade_plants.html

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Wedelia might fit the bill I believe...but it is "restricted" on the list and it is annoyingly invasive. You will be pulling it for the rest of your life.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

That's a tough set of requirements. I'll be interested to hear what you decide on.

• jb_fla
    12 years ago

My vote would be to experiment with Gynura crepioides (Okinawa spinach).

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

I wouldn't want to walk on Okinawa spinach. The one I grew was pretty prickly. The young leaves were nice for eating, but the older ones were a lot more like holly leaves. Not super sharp, but still, wouldn't want poked in the shins with them.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022