Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esco_socal

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

esco_socal
12 years ago

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all!!!

Be safe and joyous this holiday season, eat lots of goodies and hibernate like some of your plants do.

Tim

Comments (16)

• rodneys
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'll be at an Asian buffet tomorrow eating sushi & seafood.

I have a lot to be thankful for.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

THanks Rodney and Tim - it just so happens this evening I am about to enjoy my last Keitt mango of the season with my partner and the lady next door who bought me the tree early this last spring...!!!!

So it IS a Happy Thanksgiving for me! You guys also please enjoy yours with your loved ones.....

MangoDog

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

MangoDog -

My last Keitt and Lancetilla will be clipped next week. I think they are ready. I'll have a Mallika left over and that should be ready by the middle of Dec.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

FYI - Keitt is an AMAZING mango...oh my GOD! Wish everyone could have had a bite of this piece of heaven. Wonder why it's not on the top 10 list of mango tasters everywhere.....

MangoDog

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Belated..had the family and friends over.
    btw,The last Baileys I think was just as sweet with less tart then the box of Yellow Manila's we bought. I still have the one below graft fruit to pick. I'm encouraged to say the least.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Gary,
    Pardon my intrusion but you only had two varieties to compare. I had 8 varieties to compare; although Keitt is an excellent mango it's a middle of the road mangos in IMO. here is how I rank the varieties I tried in La Habra. I like to know how poster from Florida would rank the list below.
    Mallika
    Glenn
    Edwards
    Carrie
    Haden
    Keitt
    Lancetilla
    Manila

Here is a pic of my last Lancetilla(2.84 pounds) this time I'm going to let it sit for however long it takes to ripe.

• zands
    12 years ago

Here are Pilgrims and Indians sitting down together at an autumn harvest meal of
    thanksgiving. Did the really happen, I don't know.
    The Thanksgiving we celebrate today was declared by President George Washington
    in 1789
    From Wikipedia:

As President, on October 3, 1789, George Washington made the following
    proclamation and created the first Thanksgiving Day designated by the national
    government of the United States of America:

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of
    Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly
    to implore his protection and favor, and whereas both Houses of Congress
    have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People
    of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed
    by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God
    especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of
    government for their safety and happiness. Now therefore I do recommend and
    assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of
    these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the
    beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be. That
    we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks,
    for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to
    their becoming a Nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the
    favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the
    course and conclusion of the late war, for the great degree of tranquility,
    union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed, for the peaceable and
    rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of
    government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One
    now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are
    blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge;
    and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been
    pleased to confer upon us. And also that we may then unite in most humbly
    offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of
    Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to
    enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several
    and relative duties properly and punctually, to render our national
    government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of
    wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and
    obeyed, to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as
    have shown kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace,
    and concord. To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and
    virtue, and the encrease of science among them and Us, and generally to
    grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone
    knows to be best. Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day
    of October in the year of our Lord 1789.[21]

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Wow Zands - very cool to read this!

JF - I'm telling you, your Keitt must have been a poor step-child of the Keitt family because mine was royally fantastic! And perhaps it's the desert environment that produces such a wonderful fruit.....

but then again, with only 2 varieties to compare so far (well actually 3 counting the Rosigold from last year, which would now be in 2nd place) I should withold judgements for later......

Cheerio on this Hot Weekend in SoCal everyone!

mangopoodle

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Great info Zands! Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving. :-)

• zands
    12 years ago

Thanks MDog and TG89
    It was only last week that I learned about President George Washington's wonderful Thanksgiving Day Proclamation so...... I figured I would post it for all to see and learn if they don't already know

As far as I'm concerned, Washington's Proclamation says it all, about what Thanksgiving Day in America means in addition to this being a time for family get togethers

• murahilin
    12 years ago

I much prefer what Thomas Jefferson had to say about his reason for not ever giving a Thanksgiving proclamation,

"I consider the Government of the United States as interdicted by the Constitution of the United States from meddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises.... But it is only proposed that I should recommend, not prescribe, a day of fasting and praying. That is, I should indirectly assume to the United States an authority over religious exercises, which the Constitution has directly precluded them from.... Every one must act according to the dictates of his own reason and mine tells me that civil powers alone have been given to the President of the United States, and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents."

• zands
    12 years ago

Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were also great agriculturists. I visited Jefferson's Monticello in 1988 and from what I can see the gardens and fruit trees are better restored today. Lots of money poured into it.

Here is a good piece on GW
    George Washington, The Revolutionary Farmer:
    America's First Composter

A knowing farmer, who, Midas like, can convert
    everything he touches into manure,
    as the first transmutation towards gold.

--G. Washington (1785)

Thomas Jefferson a skeptic? http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=14285

Here is a link that might be useful: George Washington, The Revolutionary Farmer

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

MangoDog

I said Keitt is an excellent mango...mine was very sweet and fiberless.

Yes it's warm! yesterday 87F today 90F and the forecast calls for more of the same until Wednesday. Great way to end November and begin winter.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Yes, JF, isn't this Indian Summer divine?????

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Your climate makes me so jealous JF...Today for us it was a miracle we got a temp of 55F. Yeah, I know it's cold for you guys ,but it's pretty rare for us to get temps high as this in November. Like tuesday of this week we had a morning of 18F brrr... and we had 3 inches of snow wednesday, hopefully it melt... It's maybye time for me to move SoCal lol. Is there any mango blooming on your side JF and Mangodog? I think I'm late ,but happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Samuel Forest

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Sheehan...I like the quote from this unknown author the best: "If the Indians would have given the Pilgrims a donkey instead of turkey...we'd all be having a piece of a$$ for Thankgiving.".