Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus On My Mango Tree?

Posted by carbos (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 13:52

Hello, all. I have a Cogshall mango tree which I planted last summer. I purchased it from a local nursery in a 3 gallon pot and it seems to be doing fine. A little more than a year later it is about 5 feet tall. It had a nice growth spurt this past summer. I have a few questions for the mango gurus here. . .

1) How big can I expect this tree to grow?
2) Will I see any fruit next summer? If so, should I pinch them off to encourage another year's worth of growth and maturity?
3) My big concern right now involves the 'F' word: fungus. About two months back I noticed some spotting of some of the leaves, isolated to a few interior leaves. I've been keeping my eye on it and I just noticed that there are now more leaves with these spots. Can someone tell me what this might be? A fungus? Normal mango tree behavior? Freckles? I have the links to two photos to view. I would have posted them here but I'll be damned if I can figure that out. Sorry. The first link is a wide view of the tree. The second is a closeup of the spotted leaves.
Thank you!

http://flic.kr/p/8SCDq9

http://flic.kr/p/8SzzaZ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus On My Mango Tree?

That's a beauty. According to FSHS a mature cogshall cam reach around 25 feet tall and 20 feet wide but can be kept smaller by pruning.

Those spots look like anthracnose to me, but I definitely wouldn't worry about it.

Jeff

o

Hi, Jeff. I'm somewhat surprised to read that the tree can reach that size. I was under the impression that 10 feet or so was the limit. So be it, though. If it grows that large, more shade and more mangos.
But it's the spots that has me concerned right now. Whatever they are I want to nip it in the bud before a small problem become a big one.

o
RE: Fungus On My Mango Tree?2

I think PIN's mango viewer has influenced public perception on many of the mango cultivars. It's a great resource, but it's also a marketing tool, and as a result the rankings might not always be as accurate as they should be. That said, with an annual pruning, you should be able to keep it at 10 feet pretty easily.

Your tree looks very healthy. The inside leaves, being that they are shaded, will be more prone to develop anthracnose. I would surely not even give it a second thought. But if you wanted to, the most common defense against anthracnose is spraying the young leaves with copper when they are flushing. (Copper is easily obtained at Lowes and HD.)

o

NICE tree Carbos!! I have a Cogshall and I'm planning on pruning it yearly to maintaine it at around 8-10ft if the freeze would leave it alone,lol...I've had mine planted since April '07, these were taken this last spring and summer, its around 5ft tall...its slightly taller now after its last growth flush. Good luck with your tree!

If that was my tree and it bloomed this winter I would let a few fruits mature...not a bunch but a few. IMO your tree is big enough to hold a "few" fruits, I sure would want to taste it next year...good luck!

o

Carbos:

I would pretty much echo Jeff's comments regarding any fungus/anthracnose issue. I have two Cogshall mango trees. One is probably 10 years old and the other about 6 years old. The original one was planted entirely too close to other trees and as a result, it was partially shaded by the larger trees. It grew in a very columnar shape and is now probably 15 feet tall by about 4 feet wide. The other tree is much more out in the open and has grown much more vigorously. It is about 12 feet high and about 8 feet wide. These trees can be pruned and kept very manageable, but this variety is no where close to Julie, Ice Cream and Pickering for dwarf growth habit. As to whether you will get fruit this next season...I would say you probably will. Pinching off the fruit will make for a much more robust tree the following year....but will leave you wanting for the taste of the mango this year. My vote would be to allow a fruit or two to fully mature.....if the tree wants to mature any fruit this year. Best of luck!

Harry

o

Thank you, all, for the replies and info.
By the way, what time of the season does the Cogshall begin to flower? I'm in south FL, central Broward County.
Great looking tree, puglvr1! Looks like she gave you some sweet delights this summer. By the way, is the fence to keep out the varmints or the in-laws?

o

Thanks Carbos!! The winter of 2008 my tree bloomed in Dec/Jan. but the freeze killed all the blooms and almost killed the tree...last winter because of the freeze it was delayed by a couple of months so it bloomed closer to Feb/March. That picture with the full blooms was taken this April.

The fence was suppose to be for varmints...but unfortunately I'm going to have to come up with a more "rigid" design as "something" probably raccoons?? was able to penetrate the fort,lol...I'm thinking a Block Wall all the way around or an electric fence :o)

What the varmints left for me was absolutely delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here