Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to try white sapote for the first time

Posted by rodneys Cerritos, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 14:45

Found them for sale at the local farmer's market. The vendor didn't know which white sapote cultivar the ones on the right are, but the one on the left was sold as Gold sapote, which I assume is "Lemon Gold".

I'm going to save the seeds for rootstock.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to try white sapote for the first time

Nice, just make sure you wait until they are soft like a ripe avocado. The flesh is very similar to a avocado. White Sapotes are like sweet tropical custard fruits with avocado type flesh. I like cutting the fruit into little chunks and squeezing a fresh lime over the flesh.

o

Thanks for the info, Stephen.

I obtained a moringa pod last Saturday. I'm letting it dry before cutting it open for the seeds. Do you want me to save you some?

o

• Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 15:27

i am going to try them again this year. last year i got some but didnt let them get soft enough

o

Rodney,

Yeah, I would love to have a few seeds. I actually got one of the moringa seeds to germinate. It would not hurt to have more though.

Let me go through my seeds and possible cuttings. Next time we meet up I can give you some pomegranate cuttings or something.

o

nice, I hear they do not fare well here, probably too much rain?
I would wager you guys can also grow better Alphonso mangos and of course Cherimoyas

o

Mango_kush,

Yeah they grow great over here in Southern California. Almost everything seems to grow here. I am sure there are varieties of White Sapote that can handle the higher humidity and water better. Most cultivated varieties of White Sapote, however seem be like Hass Avocados.

o

White sapote are very easy to grow in Socal. My brother's neighbors have trees that are about 15 meters. I have tried several varieties and seedlings and some of them could be blant and leave an unpleasant aftertaste. I was never sold on white sapotes until I tried the suebelle variety.

o

Stephen, don't worry about finding something to exchange. I'm not really into pomegranate. I'll mail the seeds to you if it's more convenient. If I get the seeds to germinate, then maybe I can obtain some Suebelle scionwood from you?

How are the sunrise papaya doing? Surprising how fast they grow, isn't it?

Florida is a better environment for atemoya, so it's a trade-off.

o

Rodney,

Yeah we can just exchange seeds in the mail. Also obtaining some Suebelle scionwood would be no problem.

The papayas are getting big. I need to repot them into 15 gallon containers this weekend. I plan to repot them, and then start putting them on a weekly fertilizer schedule.

o

careful i find papyas dont like their roots disturbed, they kinda like to grow where they sprout

o

Mango_kush,

Thanks for the info, I have heard about that before from someone. I transplanted already once from a 1 gal to a 3 gal container (did not notice any issues). I try to be careful not to disturb the root zone much, when transplanting.

o

Sapote's when young like alot of water,fertilizer-and a high N type. It also helps big time to keep a mulch under them.
My Suebelle is even a showy foliage tree I think-its getting to where I have to lop branches that stick out so its getting a nice dense hemisphere crown of foliage.

o
palm bobs sapote pics..

On Daves Garden he just added a few more generic White Sapote pics-and you can see they survive and do well enough in soucal's hot drier inland valleys,but they dont look to happy with burned leaf edges. It could be the water but its most likely the hot dryness. They are mountain trees of the subtropics. The coast and the bay area are perfect for them.

o

stanofh -

They are happy here in Orange County. They survived the summer and the 113F heatwave without any leave burn.

My suebelle

This is a mature suebelle in Santa Ana.

o

Cut open the "Gold" sapotes, possibly Suebelle.

My thoughts-

Flesh - Reminiscent of cherimoya, but rather sticky like honey.

Flavor - I thought they had hints of sapodilla, hints of dates & hints of cherimoya. It was sweet with little to no perceptable acidity. I can see why some people like to give white sapotes a spritz of lemon before consuming it. Pretty good, though

Seeds - The fruits had mishapen seeds. Some were plump & others didn't develop. Is this common with this fruit?

Photobucket

o

Rodney,

The description of the seeds sounds normal. The last time I bought about 12 white sapotes, all of them had seeds similar to what you describe. Like you stated above adding a lemon or a lime, I feel greatly improves the taste and helps balance out the intense sweetness.

o

Those look fine-could be Suebelle is hardier to heat? She has no problems with the lack of high heat-75-80F all summer sweetens the fruits fine..cooler(early springs first fruits) gives the blands. Although when he had a heatwave of 100+ it did scald fruits exposed to full sun.
Suebelle is a nice ornamental tree too-not a big space eater.

o

Rodney,

Definitely chirimoya but closer to mango and coconut..... at least mine and the ones I have tasted. My suebelle is not as intense as you describe it and there in no need for lemon. Suebelle is becoming a favorite in our household it ranks below mangos, mamey, Sugar apple, chirimoya and above sapodillo, guava, genip, litchi etc.

stanofh-

Suebelle are nice and compact and no drooping branches. We had a mild summer and the fruit sweeten just fine.

o

The green ones had a flavor similar to avocado

o

stanofh,

I took this photo of a seedling next to the Post Office in Santa Ana which I've munched on for many years since the fruit falls off the tree in bunches.

o

Nice tree. Santa Ana is one of the best climates there is-anywhere. I have relatives down there.70f EVERY day all winter-lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here