Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalgrower89

Pace Mamey leaves turning red.

tropicalgrower89
13 years ago

I was worried that my grafted mamey had some sort of leaf red alga or red spider mites. But, there were no small webs and the leaves have no raised spots and never had raised gray areas on the leaves which lead to red alga spots on the leaves. The leaves still feel leathery and smooth. The leaves seem to have more tiny red spots, which are spreading much quicker with the cool weather we had to create and even red area on the leaves. Kinda like this. http://grandcruclasses.com/vineviews/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/red-vineyard-leaves.jpg

Then I read this: "The fruit has one seed. The grafted tree takes 2 or 3 yr after planting to begin flowering and fruiting, but thereafter bears good crops. The leaves turn red when cool weather commences in December and then gradually turn brown and remain so until they fall from the tree the following spring."

This was for Copan, Arec No. 1 mamey cultivar. But, my pace "lara, not Arec no.1" is doing the same thing. I wonder if my pace is really a Copan.

I posted this just as a heads-up for mamey owners who might be worried that their mamey trees are sick. Like I've mentioned, if the tree looks healthy and the leaves are silky smooth besides the red color of the leaves.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022