Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brazilian grape tree-Myciaria cauliflora

Posted by marcie_new z8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 14:51

Hi everyone I need some help. I would like to find someone that has this tree and is willing to swap seeds for the above mentioned, he also goes by the name of Jabuticaba. Anyone out there? I can pay postage or swap seeds-plants.Please let me know Thanks Marcie_new

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brazilian grape tree-Myciaria cauliflora

Jaboticaba is Myciaria cauliflora,

i wouldnt call it "Brazillian grape" as that may be confused with "amazon tree grape" Pourouma cecropiaefolia or "Blue grape" Myrciaria vexator

i have a two year old specimen which hasnt fruited yet, there are a few members here with them, some that fruited

o

I'll have seeds come April next year. But, growing a jaboticaba from seed is a long haul. If you're lucky, you'll get fruit in 6 years; but, it could take even longer. It's worthwhile to consider purchasing a 3 to 7 gallon tree to shorten the wait.

Jeff

o

Jeff,

Good to hear from you. Just wanted to let you know that the ilama seeds are doing great. I have about a half dozen that have germinated and are about 5" to 6" inches and growing.

Thanks again for pointing out that I had the wrong plant and for sending me the seeds.

- Jacob

o

Jacob, I'm so glad to hear it! That's fantastic! Keep them protected if it gets too cold. I lost a couple of small ones last year when we had those freezing temps here in south fl.

Jeff

o

I would highly recommend growing a Jaboticaba. The plant is very handsome, and takes to container growing well. New foliage is a reddish color, and the bark peels off like a birch. The fruit grows directly on the trunk, which is something I am dying to see. The flowers are supposed to be aromatic, as well as looking pretty cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: jabo

o

I would highly recommend growing a Jaboticaba. The plant is very handsome, and takes to container growing well. New foliage is a reddish color, and the bark peels off like a birch. The fruit grows directly on the trunk, which is something I am dying to see. The flowers are supposed to be aromatic, as well as looking pretty cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: jabo

o

Thanks Guys, My quest continues! I am actively looking for this wonderful tree,Hopefully I will get lucky by Spring, if nothing else I will be begin Jeff, come april. I think I have hopes of finding this tree in Pearland Texas, maybe one of Houston Lowes.Wish me Luck---ME wants this real BAD!!! M.N.

o

I bought mine off a nursery on Amazon. Arrived in perfect shape, very quickly.

o

who knew amazon.com would go on to sell trees from the amazon

o

Hi everyone I want to thank you all for your input, I have read few things about this tree, but cannot decide if its the right itme to purchase this tree, or should I wait for Februay- spring time to buy and plant. However I think I am a little closer to find one in Houston or near by. Marcie

o

The best time to buy a tree is 4 years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here