Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffhagen

Just Fruits and Exotics - Woo Hoo

jeffhagen
12 years ago

I ordered a hachiya persimmon from them. Today it arrived and I have to say it's a fantastic tree. I'm very impressed with the quality of tree, shipping, and customer service. Look these guys up if you're wanting to buy temperate fruits.

Jeff

Comments (18)

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi Jeff,

That's great to year. I have ordered apple trees from them in the past. I was very satisfied with both the shipping and the trees. And a few years later I got my first apple harvest of Anna and Golden Dorsett.

Tomas

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah nice. I'm a bit surprised that apples bear for you in Delray Beach. You're pushing the zone in the backwards direction :-).

Jeff

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Congrats on your new persimmon tree. Was able to try Coffee Cake persimmon and Maru (both were excellent). I prefer the non astringent varieties.

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks :-). I had the tanenashi which fruited well, but my wife was not fond of the pasty consistency. So, I yanked it and got her favorite, the hachiya. It's a bit iffy as to whether it will fruit this far south, but the folks at the Fruit and Spice Park (in Homestead - further south of me) said that they get good fruiting from theirs. So, it's worth a shot! The tree JF&E sent me was in one of those long taproot pots and looked like it must have been at least 8 feet tall before they clipped it to fit into the shipping box. It's a beautiful tree.

Jeff

• murahilin
    12 years ago

I've ordered from Just Fruits and Exotics a few times and they always great service and shipped excellent quality trees. I've bought apples, grapes, pomegranates, garlic, pears, blueberries and a few other things from them and never had a problem. I highly recommend them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruits and Exotics

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Jeff

you are going to be very happy with your hachiya. we make the best bread and cookies with them. hachiya persimmon smoothies are also great, they can easly be mistaken for a Mamey smoothies

JF

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yee Haww! Thanks Mr Fernandez. My wife goes bonkers over those Hachiyas. We used to live in Southern California and we had a few folks in the neighborhood who had Hachiya trees in their yards. My wife would go and beg, borrow, and buy whatever she could :-)

Jeff

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Jeff

I have access to multiple 25 foot Hachiya trees with hundeds of fruits....maybe we can make a trade?LOL I'll send you a couple of boxes of Hachiya for a few CC and LZ mangos how is that?

JF

• zands
    12 years ago

Jeff
    What is your best guess what time of year your hachiya persimmon will have edible fruits in South Florida?

This is Hachiya from Wikipedia. This looks like the persimmons I've seen in stores and eaten. Delicious when ripe otherwise you are wasting your time. Not an exotic variety or anything

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hehe that sounds like a deal Mr Fernandez! We used to have family back home that would send us boxes of them :-).

Persimmon ripens sept to dec usually. It's a good fruit to supplement the post-mango harvest.

Jeff

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Just fruits is awsome. I just got in three low chill apples (Tropic sweet, Anna, and Dorsett) and a couple olive trees a few weeks ago. I never imagined Olives could do well here but they told me they have had their parent tree (Arbequina)for many years and it is very productive with no spraying. I hate olives but my wife is Portuguese and she and her family loves them. Just fruits always sends amazing trees. I just wish they would ship year round. I always seem to find something I want from them just after their shipping window closes.

• newgen
    12 years ago

jfernandez: can I buy some from you?
    Thanks,

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Ok Jeff it's a deal!

I might be able to send you some this year i'll get my fruit picker pole out. There is still hundreds left but I seen the crows picking them since last week, see what I could salvage.

Newgen

I don't sell them they are not my trees. I get them for free wait till next Oct.

JF

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi,

Got curious about Hachiya so I went to the market today and bought a Hachiya fruit. How do I know when is perfectly ripe to eat?

Tomas

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Congrats! Does persimmon have its own unique flavor or does it have some flavors that resemble other fruits?

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Ok Jeff,

The fruits were mushy but I was able to find some . email me and I'll ship them to you.

JF

the trees are still holding a lot of fruits but they are too ripe.

I got a couple of hard ones

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohh goodness! That's one heck of a tree! I just emailed you.

Jeff

• jeffhagen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My wife says, "Que cosa mas bella" :-) My wife is going to have a heart attack :-).

Jeff