Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

SF bay area Cherimoya?

Pretty sure..what do you think?

Comments (15)

• Doglips
    11 years ago

Check it in April and see if sheds all of its leaves.

• soaht
    11 years ago

A pawpaw maybe? Since they can thrive in colder climate and they are native to the eastern United states and they are related to cherimoyas.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The consensus is,its Cherimoya. At a size we don't see here in the bay area. Threw me.

• sf_rhino
    11 years ago

Would you mind divulging where exactly this is growing? I am a huge nerd and like to map where interesting plants are in the area. Plus maybe I can get the owner to give me a cutting!
    There are a few pawpaws in the area that I know of, one in the Berkeley botanical gardens.
    I have a few potted cherimoyas in my appt, but it would be nice to see a big one.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

Original Author
    11 years ago

How about if I tell you in Hayward,on Calaroga going south? I'm not sure of the exact street corner. Its 2-3 blocks off of Tennyson and Calaroga. That should be on Google.

• sf_rhino
    11 years ago

Thanks, found it. NE corner of Calaroga and Miami. The tree is at least 2-3 times taller in your photo!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah,its been a good run of 10a winters for the city since 1998.

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    11 years ago

Ever since I tasted my first cherimoya a few years back, I've dreamt of growing one in my tiny East Oakland garden.

Am I delusional?

• sapote
    11 years ago

I'm very sure it's a cherimoya from the photo. I have more than 10 trees in my yard. They can take cold winter. The leaves burned but no damaged to branches or trunk. I don't see why it should not grow in SF.

Brian

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oakland is near perfect for Cherimoya. They are highland tropical plants..about what Oakland is at sea level 3,000 miles north!

• rodneys
    11 years ago

Lisascenic,
    Cherimoya will thrive where you are. You can buy a grafted tree or grow seedlings and graft som budwood once they harden off. I started my fruit hobby after tasting cherimoya for the first time. I loved the taste & the it's very expensive to buy, so why not grow my own? I now have 5 grafted trees at home.

• sapote
    11 years ago

I suggest to grow cherimoya from seeds for a strong root system. graft such as air-layer .will not grow to be a handsome tree

• Gabrielle2
    10 years ago

I live in Downtown San Jose. I came from the Philippines and I love tropical fruit trees! I planted Indonesian Guava trees (2) (we called it "guapple"), Bilimbi, cherimoya, jackfruit, seedless pomelo (suha), katuray, malunggay and curry trees
    (2)! They are all growing well on the ground.

I also have herbal plants like gynura and asitaba.

The key to growing these trees is fertilizing with manures from cow and chicken.

• rodneys
    10 years ago

Gabrielle,
    Do you have any extra ashitaba plants? I have 1 ashitaba (Angelica Keiskei), a Longevity Spinach (Gynura Procumbens) and an Okinawa Spinach. I want to add another Ashitaba to my collection. Thanks

Regards,
    Rodney

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a 6' Santol in a pot. I tried to leave outside on the porch..but when temps got down into the mid 40's at night? The stems began to curve down. I brought it back in before the December freezes. And it promptly perked right back up. The fact it grew so slow all summer outdoors...when it's been fast indoors..tells me its 100% tropical. Not a mild temperate climate hardy tree. At least makes a nice looking potted plant.
    Also Gabrielle, try mangoes.Just protect from 32f and they can take our cool winters just fine.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax