Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalgrower89

My new Coconut Cream.

tropicalgrower89
12 years ago

I went by Jeff's place today and bought a healthy 3 gallon coconut cream. I'm looking forward to eating my first coconut cream mango. :-)

It looks like it's going to be a large grower.

Comments (15)

• sleep
    12 years ago

Nice tree..

That's some serious cowboy rope going on :)

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

haha Yeah. It was being held-up by a bamboo stick that was right up against the trunk of tree. It was tied-up in different spots with the plastic(I think it's blue para-film)straps. So basically, what I did was I re-used the bamboo stick(took it out of the root ball and inserted it away from the tree), got a second one and a long soft rope that would not harm the trunk of the tree. Then I wrapped the rope around the bamboo stick on the left first before tightening it to the trunk of the tree. I then repeat step 1 with the bamboo stick on the right with the same rope. It's tight, but not so tight that it would not let the tree move around a bit and hurt the trunk of the tree. It's not a pretty sight, but it gets the job done by supporting the tree and most importantly, allowing the trunk to get thicker and stronger by letting the tree flex around a bit during breezy days(doesn't squeeze the trunk).

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Woo hoo! That's a nice tree :-).

Jeff

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jeff! Your wife taught me a special way on how to pug a young mango tree to induce branching near the tip of the trunk/branch. :-) That's what I did to the coconut cream after I planted it.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

OK. Excellent. That's what I do my trees too.

Jeff

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

tropicalgrower - due to the time of year/weather/climate/season, don't be disappointed of your tree does not react and send any new growth from the pugging till spring. If it does, be very cautious with any cold spells to protect it as it will take longer to harden off.

Rob

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't worry Rob. The trunk needs to grow thicker anyways. Basically, I didn't really pug it, such as cutting the branch. I just scraped off the main terminal bud with my finger nail to encourage the secondary terminal buds to sprout. I'll keep my eye on the weather. I think this winter will be a bit milder than the previous ones.
    http://www.worldweatherpost.com/wp-content/uploads/timthumb.php?src=http://www.worldweatherpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/590x393_10041805_2011-12winterhighlightsus.jpg&q=100&w=570&h=320

Thanks for the warning Rob.

Alexi

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Alexi - actually, this winter will be very similar to last year's winter. We should have a moderately strong to strong La Nina event which is exactly what we had last winter. It should not be as frigid as two winters ago but we will have a frigid period which will more than likely be followed by an earlier, faster warmup. The other unfortunate condition that comes with a La Nina event such as this is the drought. Again, it should be similar to last winter's.

Rob

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA/NWS 2011/2012 -- La Nina is back

• zands
    12 years ago

Thanks Jeff! Your wife taught me a special way on how to pug a young mango tree to induce branching near the tip of the trunk/branch. :-) That's what I did to the coconut cream after I planted it.

Elsy is her name she is very clever with plants. She showed me papaya that she did the same trick on. Smushing off that center growing bud w your fingers..... And the papaya will not grow taller. You might have to repeat that procedure. The papaya will branch out more. It puts energy into branching out and hopefully more fruits rather than growing taller

Smush it off on a mango and it will grow taller via branching out and branching up

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the weather link Rob. Hopefully, this season of cold snaps won't be as bad.

Thanks Zands. Elsy showed my dad and I those papaya trees also and their coconut cream mango tree which they performed the same procedure on. It gives the tree a nice structure and growth habit. I did the same thing to my lemon zest yesterday after smushing off the center growing bud of my coconut cream mango.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Nice tree tg89.....so Jeff - is this one a vigorous grower? And is it early, mid or late season for you guys? I'm going to try and bag one soon.....

Mr.MD

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mangodog. I'm also curious about the season for the coconut cream mango. :-)

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I am not Jeff but I will chime in. Other than Zills, I don't think anyone could give specifics on the tree from a near maturity growth standpoint. From the fruit I have had over the last 2 years, it is a mid season mango. The growth habit, from mine and what I have seen from others, is moderately vigorous. Maybe not as vigorous as the Lemon Zest but in no way a dwarf. Its parentage are purported to be Edward/Gary, so no "condo" mango there. The best I could say, which is what I am attempting, is to keep trimming to promote branching and reducing the height as to keep it as bushy as possible without sacrificing too much production.

Rob

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Yah, I was told that the coco cream is a full grower.

Jeff

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Thanks, guys......mangoDudley