Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pikorazi

Last mangos of the season

pikorazi
12 years ago

Hi friends,

I�ve been the past two weeks back home, in the Canary Islands, where I could enjoy some of the last mangos of the season. The winner of the three cultivars I tasted was Heidi. Maybe I piked Valencia Pride and Keitt too early Here the pics:

{{gwi:1334805}}

HEIDI

{{gwi:1334806}}

HEIDI

{{gwi:1334807}}

Comments (20)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

wow...that's just beautiful

Tim

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Felipe:

Having just done some major gyrations to get a Heidi graft to take, I am very happy to see and hear about your Heidi experience. Thanks for posting. That's a really, really nice looking tree.

Harry

• sleep
    12 years ago

That is great news to me. My Heidi will be 4 years in the ground this comming summer, and I am anxiously waiting to try it. From your description, I likely will not be disappointed.

Your photo is the first I have seen of a more mature Heidi tree. Thank you for posting pics.

My Heidi has a similar growth habit. Very, very nice tree.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

A very beautiful woman - that Heidi!!!!!!

Just the most picture perfect growth and fruit dangle
    I've ever seen on a mango tree. Was the fruit fiberless, Pikorazi?

mangoD

• murahilin
    12 years ago

pikorazi,
    Did you do any pruning to get your tree to that shape?

Sleep,
    Do you have any pics of your Heidi tree?

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you guys have any infos on Heidi? I tought that cultivar is pretty old, right? IMO it is a pretty nice mango, low fibre, sweet, and being such a later bearer makes it very interesting.

By the way, I planted a few new trees: Mabroka, Mulgoba, Madame Francis, Gouveia and others. I can't wait to try those mangos..

Felipe

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

Damn. I gotta buy me a big piece of fertile land. Wind-protect the property and just plant ALL different types of mango cultivars on it. Love the look of that Heidi tree.

• zands
    12 years ago

So many purple fruits painted onto to a beautifully shaped mango tree. Nice contrast of purple and green

• sleep
    12 years ago

My 3 1/2 Yr old Heidi. I took these pics this morning..

• zands
    12 years ago

@sleep
    That Heidi is one beautiful shaped mango tree send in a photo when it has purple fruits hanging. It's all good like my 3.5 year Carrie with same low spreading shape

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

beautiful trees Felipe and Sleep!!

Felipe,

Is this mango orchard in the ICIA also?

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Sleep - another amazing Heidi -

Move to the head of the class!!!!!!!!!

But Hey - the one Pikorazi photo of the fruit shows it red, and the photo of the tree shows the fruit purplish...
    someone please explain.....

mangodingo

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Gary:

Having never grown a Heidi (until recent grafts took...courtesy of and thanks to Sleep), I am assuming that it is one of those cultivars that colors up with really nice sunset colors....in this case red seems to predominate. There are quite a few cultivars that are purplish on the tree (Palmer, Spirit of 76 and Tommy Atkins come to mind), and then achieve different, more vivid coloration at the peak of ripeness. Its a great looking mango in both cases.

Harry

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

Anyone tasted it's fruit? While fiber is not objectionable to me, I'm more concerned with how sweet it is and what other cultivar it is similair to.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry - makes sense and yes that is one good lookin' tree....and I second TnT's question about the taste - just how good is it, Pikorazi/Zands?????

• zands
    12 years ago

MD---
    Never tasted any but just spoke with Mr. Bender at Bender's Grove. He has a Heidi tree and said it has very good taste. Unfortunately he has no Heidi trees to sell.
    http://www.bendersgrove.com/files/galeria/b20110527104631.jpg
    http://www.bendersgrove.com/main-gallery.htm

Zill describes it as "spicy melon taste" and mid-season. Best I can tell Zill grafted them but not currently

Here is a link that might be useful: Bender's Grove (good guy to do biz with)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Check with Jeff Hagen.....he might have accsees to a Heidi if anyone is interested. I'm not sure, but I think I remember him saying that he did.

Harry

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@sheehan: yes, those trees are trained if needed when young, but in our climate, mangos usually don't grow that vertical and don't get too big.

@jf: yes, that is one tree of the canarian institute collection, unfortunatelly it's not my tree.

@mangoperro: the fruit was green and purple when picked. after a few days, the green started to turn in orange, and the purple in red.

as i said, the taste was nice, similar to keitt, but lower acidity, sweeter. spicy melon?! i wouldn't describe it as 'spicy'. i would add heidi to my collection just because it's such a later bearer. having so many trees, i will add only the best cultivars. right now i'm dreaming of good indian and pakistani cultivars, also of lemon zest and coconut dream :-)

felipe

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Coconut Cream*

Even though coconut dream sounds like a good name for a mango. :-)

• ADiab
    11 years ago

Just planned few days ago 100 tree of Heidi Mango, there ages around 2 years, length around 150cm to 180cm

I wish I taste first Heidi Mango after 2 years

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional