Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrisofla

Nam Doc Mai.....no fruit

terrisofla
13 years ago

I'm hoping someone can help me get fruit from my 5 year old Nam Doc Mai this year. I am a Southwest Rancher and noticed someone has that name on this forum. Also some of you live in Broward County, so I really have my fingers crossed that you can help. My tree fruited in it's 3rd year, but the few fruit that stayed on the tree split lengthwise before maturing. I read not to fertilize past August, so the end of August was my last fertilizing (I think I burnt it a little). I read it shouldn't get any additional water from sprinklers, so I fixed my sprinklers not to water near the tree. My soil is muck soil. I use horse manure as mulch/fertilizer as well as a 8-10-10 plus minors. It got one nutritional spray this year. I sprayed with Copper like crazy this past rainy season. I have a few blossoms like many of you have stated you have on your trees now. Should I start spraying with copper now?

Comments (11)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

no. dont spray with copper at all, nam doc mai is resistant to fungus, its not necessary and some run off may go into the soil, unnecessarily. copper fungicide is recommended for other varieties but not Asian ones.

your tree should give you fruit next year, it was a really off season this year. fruit splitting is because of excess water like we got this season along with a brutal winter for tropicals. mango trees do not need much in the way of fertilizer, i only use potash. nitrogen biased ones promote growth over blooms. (on fertilizer bags the first number is the ratio of nitrogen, the second phosphorus and the third potasium). i would say your regular manure routine is sufficient for a tree that age, i use a sprinkle of osmocote slow release granular before the rainy season, but again my trees are small so im promoting growth not fruit.

in the mango bloom topic thread, Harry and other members will announce when their Nam Doc Mai is blooming (i have one as well in Broward, but may not bloom as its only about two years old) so you will know when yours should be blooming around.

with a little patience and keeping your fingers crossed for a mild winter and dry summer, you should be enjoying fruit next season.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

I think nam doc mai can be tricky when young. Mine spent the first 3 or 4 years just growing with a single small crop in between. This last year was the first year that I got a decent crop (now that it's like 6 years old). My neighbors had a similar problem with theirs.

There is a variation of the nam doc mai known as the #4 which produces more heavily than the normal nam doc mai. One of the bigger mango propagators in the area has reportedly stopped propagating the regular nam doc mai in favor if the #4 due to it's greater production. I don't have a lot of experience with the nam doc mai #4, but the one tree that I saw was completely LOADED with fruit last year. If you like the nam doc mai as much as I do, you might consider planting the #4 :-).

You probably shouldn't fertilizer your mangoes at all, especially if you're on muck. Too much fert can contribute to jelly seed in addition to inducing your mangoes to grow rather than fruit.

Unfortunately, the nam doc mai has a reputation for splitting. And being on flooded muck soil, you might be stuck with a lot of split fruit... :-(.

Harry is the area expert. He also grows on south broward muck and will likely be able to give you some good advice.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I am growing 2 Nam Doc Mai trees and I also have a Nam Doc Mai See Tong and another which was labelled Sia Tong. I think that the later two are the same. They are yellow versions of Nam Doc Mai. The yellow types seem much less susceptable to the splitting problem you are experience. These will only split after a major standing water event....while regular Nam Doc Mai splits almost regardless if you allow it to stay on the tree too long. At least that is what I have experienced for the last many years here is Davie. I don't know which of the Nam Doc Mai's I have. I planted a new tree a couple of years ago and it hasn't born any fruit yet. The older tree has born some fruit every year but the fruiting is pretty sparse.

Harry

• terrisofla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do any of you other broward growers have to spray with copper? I had dark brown spots on many leaves, which I think is anthracnose, but not sure. The copper seems to have helped, but still some of my new growth will end up with these spots on them. The one I use is organic and will break up in the soil allowing the tree to use the copper. The year it bloomed, some of the bloom panicles turned black and generally looked bad, so I figured I might have to use the copper to keep them "clean."

I was wondering if this variety was one of those that is troublesome when it's young, and prone to split. Thanks for verifying that for me. Guess I just have to hang in there for a while longer. I also didn't know there were different types of Nam Doc Mai. Have no idea which one I have, but hopefully may get a clue this fruiting season. The year I did have fruit and they split the tree was getting watered by the sprinkler, and by me with a hose. I'm sure I gave it too much. This year it should only get what falls from the sky, right? And no fertilizer, just horse manure? Anything else I can do to increase my odds? Thank you all for your help,
    Terri

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

it is anthracnose, however it is not a real concern, should only be cosmetic on Asian mango trees. some more Indian like varieties are more susceptible to it and become heavily covered and the fruit may fall prematurely.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Another member on this list informed me that the Nam doc mai mangoes sold by Pine Island are now of the #4 variation.. perhaps that's why they give it 5 stars for productivity. Better buy them quick though; prices are apparently going up on Jan 1 !!

• way2sexy4u365_aol_com
    13 years ago

This is very interesting, I purchased a 3 gallon NDM about 4 feet or so from a nursury out in Wimauma? I'm. Not sure if its the regular variety or the #4 but it is trying to fruit very heavily even though it won't be able to hold it. Some are about the size of a blueberry and have a blush to them. Is that normal for NDM to have a pinkish look to them?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• zands
    13 years ago

Alicia
    I purchased a 3 gallon NDM about 4 feet or so from a nursury out in Wimauma?

I have similar NDM activity on one I will be planting

Zills and Pine Island have only been grafting Nam Doc Mai #4 for a while. Few months ago got an NDM at Home Depot which Pine Island is the supplier. I emailed PI and they said it was #4

So....... Ask your nursery if they are in the Zills or PI pipeline

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

alicia thats normal, those little baby mangos may not develop and fall off.
    the inflorescence are pretty, here is a closeup

• way2sexy4u365_aol_com
    13 years ago

Thanks zands and mango_kush! I just thought NDM was a green fruit, mine has a blush to the skin. Neat

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

nam doc mai can vary from green to yellow with a slight blush from the sun. yours were probably colored because your tree is to small to shade them

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting