Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tntrobbie

So. Whose S.Florida mango tree is flowering for Dec/Jan

TnTRobbie
12 years ago

Anyone?

None of mines are :( . But my neighbour (4 houses across from me) 5-6yr old tree is flowering- 1 pannicle on top (can't see the other side). I don't know the type, but it is about 10 ft tall and twice as wide. Very bushy with lots of flowers in the past but hardly any fruit see maturity.

Comments (34)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I have some blooms on my Rosigolds....but that is about it for now.

Harry

• sleep
    12 years ago

No blooms here, but I do have 4 mango's growing on my Choc Anon..

• squam256
    12 years ago

No blooms yet but like sleep my Chok anon has 3 fruits on it.

• ofdsurfer
    12 years ago

My Choc Anon has fruit and is still blooming. Also my Nam Doc Mai is blooming and has set a few fruits.

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Harry. I came across your posts in 2009 and 2010 where your Rosigolds (along with some other cultivars) also bloomed around Oct/Nov. Seems like it's a consistent Fall bloomer for FL weather.

sleep, squam256. Hope you all get to enjoy fruit this Winter.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Hi, TnTRobbie. Yes, this time of year starts the blooming cycle for the earlier flowering mango trees. There may be others starting to push blooms from their terminal buds. However, with the recent Florida heavy rains, I have a bit of a muddy mess out in the yard and haven't really had the time or inclination to fully inspect all of the trees. I'll try to get out there before the end of this coming weekend and do a more thorough survey.

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Harry, have you ever decided to make a drainage pond or two to help with the water logging problem you have with the soil around your fruit trees?

I've seen many man made ponds in that area of davie and southwest ranches.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Alexi:

Yes, I have thought about it...but unfortunately did not think about it before I planted out lots and lots of trees. At this point, I only have trouble when we get a deluge and it seemes to drain fairly quickly anyway. Its muddy and mucky for a while, but I haven't lost too many trees as a result although citrus hates this occasional flooding situation. Now if I dug a pond, I don't know where I would do it and even worse, what I'd do with the fill removed from the newly dug pond.

Harry

• swrancher
    12 years ago

My Nam Doc Mai is now blooming.

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ofdsurfer, congrats!

swrancher, did you NDM undergo new growth flushes after harvesting this past summer? ie any new growth flushes between harvesting and the current bloom?
    Mabye my NDM will begin flower some time this month. LOL.
    The buds are swollen- could be for Spring 2012.

• swrancher
    12 years ago

My NDM is actually a fairly small tree (4-5 feet tall) that was just planted last year, this is its first bloom. It actually just finished a growth flush a few weeks before this bloom.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Is it a regular NDM or a #4 NDM? ^

• swrancher
    12 years ago

The tree was purchased at the Broward Rare Fruit Council's tree sale last year. It was labeled as just "NDM" so I'm not sure which version of NDM it is.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

The BRFC normally gets their mangoes from TreeHouse, so it would be NDM #4.

Jeff

• gnappi
    12 years ago

My no name mango has one branch blooming. It usually doesn't bloom till much later in the year. I hope it does better than this as last year the tree erupted in flowers all over.

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I happened to glance my neighbour's tree again since the start of this thread and, low and behold, the top of their mango tree is layden with flowering pannicles- 15-20 would be my guess. I'll be watching to see if it hold fruit and what type. Two other mango trees outside of my community (20+ft Irwin and Hayden) also has some sparse flowers.
    On a personal note, my NDM is pushing growth that does not seem to be flushes. Vegitative growth is usually fast (3-4 days) and can be identified easily with their spikey form and numerious young, taut leaves. These growths have been slowly forming for the past week and a half now. 1" stalk with no leaves. I've noticed in the past that my Julie and NDM flowers 2-3 weeks after other mature trees around me flowers.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

My pickering has every branch is covered with inflos... I thought it was too early. Much earlier than last year.
    I am buying a portable green house so winter temps won't be a problem.

• squam256
    12 years ago

One of my Rosigolds now has inflos coming along with an Edward. The other Edwards and Rosi's aren't showing anything yet though.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Rosigold, Edward and Julie....now spiking flowers.

• pepperseed
    12 years ago

My choc anon has tiny fruits and my Julie is blooming.

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

:D This pannicle has been hiding.

My mature Julie is flowering as well.
    {{gwi:1334905}}
    More buds are pushing out inflos. Seems like the half portion of the tree that is not getting any direct sunlight is pushing inflos. The black stuff along the top of the flower stem are tiny lady bug larve clusters. They've never damaged my plants (including mango flushes) in the past.

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

Rosigold is flowering. There are two nice panicles on one of the Dot trees. No other blooms in sight.

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My mature Julie is pushing out more flowers and they all seem to be comming from the non, 2011 post summer season flushes. I counted 17 flowers, with some "dormant" ends shooting dual pannicles.
    {{gwi:1334906}}

Here is my 7gal in-ground (mid Oct 2011) Julie pushing flowers as well from all buds.
    {{gwi:1334907}}

My neighbour's todate unknown-cultivar-to-me mango tree
    {{gwi:1334908}}

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Now my Glenn has some inflos.... I think it is too early....definitely much earlier than last year.
    Anyone with Glenn mango trees blooming?

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Marin - Being Glenn is one of your earlier varieties and with the "early" season overall last year, it does not surprise me at all. With the projected La Nina this winter being VERY similar to last winter's, expect a very similar season in 2012.

Oh, by the way, my "experimental" Zills dwarf NDM and my Pickering are shooting inflos.

Rob

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

My Pickering has been pushing something for a week now. I though it was new growth but this morning I could see they are flower. Also, my Glenn and Irwin might be doing the same, it's way too early for Socal.

JF

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

In Houston, do you think my Pickering, Glenn, and NDM trees should be Flowering yet?

• swrancher
    12 years ago

Just noticed this morning that my Rosigold is starting to bloom.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

I got about five starting to bloom. Weird!Weather has been horrible, cold, windy and some rain.

JF

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sweet JF.

My Cushman and Maha is trying to push out something. The tissue color surrounding the buds is intensifying it yellow/orange color. In the case of the Maha, it's more pepto bismol pink/yellow. Pickering, Lancetilla and Dot is pushing flowers. I'm surprized by the size of Dot's flowers. On first sight they looked like young Hibiscus buds/flowers with the hollow tip. Huge!.
    The mature julie is still flowering with the first pannicle having 5-6 tiny fruit on it. The newer Julie is flowering. I'll post pics a bit later. Carrie, Mallika, and Okrung dormant.

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lancetilla (7gal Sept 2011). Pugged in late September 2011.
    {{gwi:1334910}}

Dot (7gal Nov 2011)
    {{gwi:1334911}}

Pickering (Nov 2011)
    {{gwi:1334912}}

Julie #2 (7gal Sept 2011)
    {{gwi:1334914}}

Julie #1 (Oct 2006)
    First pannicle results for Dec 2011
    {{gwi:1334915}}
    -2nd Pannicle
    {{gwi:1334916}}

Off to Trinidad for a week where Julie is in season :D. Merry Christmas and happy holidays all.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Rob- are those pannicles coming out of pickering and lancitilla???? I have things like that on my pickering but I didnt think they were flowers.

MGB

• ejobie
    6 years ago

I have four blooms on my Haden as of December 05, 2018.

• Ethan Hunt
    6 years ago

good lord, a 7 yr old thread??? really?

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County