Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammysf

Hey Mango Gang, from Northern California

tammysf
12 years ago

Hey guys,

it's me, tammy. I have not been on much. busy with the kids.

Just wanted to report in for others trying to grow tropicals in NorCal.

My Glenn mango is still growing. I have 2 mangoes on there currently but not sure if they will ripen in time. We had a cooler summer than usual....the tomatoes didn't even do well.

My dragonfruit is growing and about 7 feet tall now.

Cherimoyas are looking healthy but no fruit yet.

I will try to get some pictures when it stops raining.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden blog

Comments (6)

• desimango
    12 years ago

Hi Tammy,

My mallikas never made it but I did have a single Glenn that ripened with a beautiful aroma about 3 weeks ago. Keep a close eye on your Glenns because ours ripened in about 3 days. I'm in Milpitas so we tend to get a little warmer weather than SF and that does help.

Our 2010 tomato season was pretty bad but this year has been worthwhile.

I see many folks with Dragonfruit and Cherimoya trees but I've never tried the fruit. I gotta give it a shot.

GL
    -Desi

• invar69
    12 years ago

Hello fellow Northern California zone pushers...

My potted mango trees are still alive and looking healthy. Though, I nearly killed them all from over-fertilization. I had severely pruned them down to about 14 inches (looking very bonsai); so it will be a long while before they produce fruit I think. However they have been putting out a lot of growth.
    I recently added to my collection a Sweetheart Lychee and a 7 gallon mango tree. The Lychee has gotten over transplant shock but my new mango is dying I think. It had bark splitting and rot on one side, near the base of the tree, just above the graft line; which probably didn't help with the shock.

best, Rob

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Hello Tammy!
    The Baileys Marvel..is confusing as you might have read. What I forgot to mention on the other posts is,there is a single Mango fruit BELOW the graftline still healthy..growing straight from the trunk. What strange too is,that the seed inside that one is wider then the fruit. You can see it's shape. Like an Alien waiting to get out!
    Tomato's were good-sweet,but not the typical yield. But sure better than last year's almost none. The neighbors Dragon fruits were there one day..but they were picked long before they turned any color. On purpose or.. taken ? I dont know.
    Mexicola Avocado-good but pitiful small amounts. White Sapote-good,but since its starting to get too big for my small yard,I have had to prune it..and the fruits took a hit for this year. Not many compared to when Suebelle is left alone.
    Even the brown Turkey figs seemed to be light in amounts..they miss our normal warmer summers too.
    On the other hand-we're getting virtually frostless winters..the tradeoff with El or La Nina...

12 years ago

Picked another today...good too. I take a bite to confirm taste,the wife eats the rest. And to think back in May she was telling me to write her name on them..and it came to be.
    One last-I bought it in June of 09 at Regans Nursery in Fremont. So,2009-Nov 2011 is about as fast as any temperate fruit tree to give rewards.
    The plan now is in May of '12 to plant in ground..the ground should be warm enough,the tree well in gear to grow and root out. Its 7' right now.

• tammysf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hey everyone,

great to see others in the bay area pushing the limits.

i got a ripe glenn last year and it was delicious...would love if these 2 ripen up but we will see.

my alphonso got taken out by a ground rodent (mole, gopher, not sure)but it is sprouting back...it will be a mango bush ;)

12 years ago

So,whats the list of what bay areans have gotten too fruit? Manila,Glenn,Baileys Marvel,Lancetilla..all have fruited here. Thats a nice base. The hang up is-gophers here are plentiful. For sure plant in ground in as large a galvanized heavy duty wire cage as you can place. Gophers are a much bigger enemy then cold. I would also recommend that any in ground Mango have some kind of protection for the trunk from gnawers or scratchers. I think,we are closer to true( albeit small) tree sized Mango's then ever before.

Sponsored