Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thenear1send

Miracle fruit seeds NOT germinating!!! Help!

thenear1send
15 years ago

About 3 months ago i purchased 20 miracle fruit seeds for 18 bucks off the web, and they arived in layers of moist paper towels, and i immediately placed them some peat pots filled with 50% peat moss and 50% vermiculite, and i then set them out in the warm sun checking their temp to make sure it was fairly warm.

A week passed. Nothing. I then grinded up some elemental sulfur and scattered some of it on top of the peat pots to hopefully increase acidity.

Another week. Nothing.

I then moved them into my house for warmth. 3 weeks later, nothing.

So i have been keeping these moderatly moist for 3 months and not a single sign of germination. And as a final act of being furious. I dug up one of the pots to check the seeds.

They looked exactly as they did 3 months ago. No sign of having started germination at all.

What should i do?

Did i get totally bum seeds or what...

Thanks in advanced

Comments (7)

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Keep them inside with bottom heat and covered to increase humidity. They can be stubborn. Don't give up on them yet.

• murahilin
    15 years ago

Whenever I plant miracle fruit seeds I just leave them alone for a few weeks and they germinate. One week usually isnt enough time for those seeds to sprout. If you would of just left them alone they probably would of sprouted if the seeds were viable. The viability isnt that long though so you do not know how long the ebay seller had those seeds before they were sold to you. I am not sure if adding that elemental sulfur would of hurt the seeds but it was not necessary. That sulfur will not aid with the germination.

• rredbbeard
    15 years ago

I've germinated a lot of MF seeds, and I find that there is some sign of life within 3-6 weeks. After 3 months, any that have not germinated are probably not viable.

It sounds like you treated them right, although I don't know what sulfur might do. One challenge is damping, and I lose a small percent to this every time. It is likely that the eBay vendor let the seeds get dry at some point, and a dry MF seed is a dead MF seed. You are better off buying the fresh fruits if you can.

Good luck!

• don_aletta4you_com
    12 years ago

Why is it necessary to 'clean' the seeds in order to germinate them? In nature the fruits would ripen, fall off the bush and then germinate...........Has anyone tried just planting the berry to see what happens? This year I am about to try a myriad of ways as I have not been successful so far in producing plants. I even have a couple of seeds immersed in "Tomato Grow' as I was told that this was actually Giberillic Acid. I will plant them tomorrow...

• Rattlerjake
    10 years ago

Nuff Sed Nine, many types of fruit seeds require cleaning because in nature the only seeds that will germinate are those that are in the fruit eaten by wildlife and that are not digested but 'pooped' out. The stomach acid of the animal is enough to remove the protective coating on the seed, so you cleaning the seed is replicating this.

• organicearthmother
    10 years ago

I don't think it's necessary to clean the fruit before germinating, as I noticed under the tree there were plenty of sprouting seeds and seedlings. The time of year is end of summer and half way through the Wet season, so plenty of rain and humidity. The soil is sandy but quite wet at the moment, and lots of organic matter on the ground. Like a lot of tropical fruit seeds, they don't have a long viability. The fresh fruit also has a very short 'shelf life', i.e. one or two days.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor