Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epidemiolo

Help with this coconut cream mango tree

epidemiolo
10 years ago

My son bought this coconut cream mango tree and it was grown in the original 3 gallon nursery pot for about 9 months. The tree was recently planted in the ground in Southern Florida. It seems to have a bad case of anthracnose and is dropping leaves. It also looks pretty scraggly. Any suggestions for reviving this tree?.

Comments (5)

• bananafan
    10 years ago

epidemiolo,

I'm sorry that your coconut cream mango isn't doing good. I have not had good experience with the couple of exotic mangoes I have too. In fact, one coconut cream died on me. The other one is a Miracle mango. After I planted it in the ground, it started to have lots of white spots on the leaves. Interestingly, I planted Pickering mango next to it at the same time and it's doing well with no disease or anything. I don't know what anthracnose looks like. It's possible that my Miracle mango has the same thing as yours. I have been spraying Neem oil on it, but it didn't seem to help too much.

• epidemiolo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi bananfan, Anthracnose is a fungal disease characterized by black spots/blackening on the leaves and fruit and flowers of mango trees. Do a internet search and you will find pictures of it. From what I have read, the coconut cream mango is particularly susceptible to anthracnose. I would also look up whitefly. I noticed some light spots on some of my other plants which I think are whitefly. The picture of the coconut cream mango I posted is my son's tree.

I planted 7 new trees this year including Keitt, Kent,
    Rosigold, Nam Doc Mai #4, Bailey's Marvel, Bombay and Choc Anon (miracle mango). I also have a Carrie in a pot which is doing really well. I am new at this but so far so good. I also spray with copper fungicide solution. The following link has a picture of whitefly infestation.

http://pbcgov.com/coextension/horticulture/whitefly/_images/Whitefly_clip_image004.jpg

• bananafan
    10 years ago

epidemiolo,

Thanks for the link. You're right on with with the white fly infestation. In fact, my Sugar Apple has been badly infected with the same infestation also. Since I'm keeping my edible plants organic, I only spray with Neem oil and just hope for the best.

You do have a nice collection of mangoes there. I also have a Carrie which is quite a hardy plant. I had to dig it out from the ground to make room for some garden renovation and it's in a huge pot now. The ones that are in the ground are Miracle mango, Pickering and Cogshell. The rest of them which are Nam Doc Mai, Coconut Cream and Carrie are all in the pot.

I hope all your planted mangoes will do well in your planting zone. Do you have to protect them when it gets cold?

So, how are you treating your mango that has Anthracnose? As to your original question on how to revive your mango, have you considered tipping it? Where I am in zone 9b, I wouldn't consider doing it now as the weather is getting colder and their growth rate has slowed down. But, if you're in a warmer planting zone, maybe it's ok to do so. I have done a lot of tipping to all my mangoes and they always send out lots of new flushes after that.

Here's a picture of my Cogshell.

• bananafan
    10 years ago

I believe this was Pickering flushing in May this year.

• ir tehmofo
    8 years ago

Not sure the plant is getting enough nutrients it needs. If it was me I would dig it up and make sure the surrounding medium was part plant soil mixed with vermiculite and some rock dust/trace minerals and some compost. Cover the medium with some mulch so the soil stays moist. Have some neem oil and water mixed with a table spoon of baking soda if you notice the leaves are being infested with fungus. Hope it helps

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz