Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnmerr

Miracle fruit

johnmerr
12 years ago

Does anyone here have any experience growing miracle fruit, Synsepalum dulcificum? I have a mountain of different fruits and trees on my lemon farm in Guatemala; and I thought it might be interesting to try this one.

Comments (10)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

I have not tried growing it yet, however I have heard it likes acidic soil and temps above 50 degrees.

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

where's that jerk with his google search? lol.

• johnmerr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I did the google search; and I learned quite a bit, but most of the google "facts" do not come from real people who actually have first hand experience. A prime example, I tried too many times to grow guisquil/chayote from information I found on google; but I never was successful until I got advice from someone who has actually grown them.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

It is good that you tried google. Did you try the forums search though? It has tons of "real people" who posted about miracle fruit. What specific questions do you have though? Soil type? Sunlight? Watering? Temperature?

Search through the forum and if you still have specific questions please do ask. There are a bunch of people on the forum, including myself, who has grown miracle fruit both in the ground and in containers.

• johnmerr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the search clue; just discovered there is a search box at the top of the page. Looks like lots of info; proly more than I need to know until I get a growing plant.

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

I have one potted, was doing nothing really for a couple years, until I read how much they loved acid soils, so had my wife put coffee grinds in the container instead of the trash, and viola couple months later flowers, then fruit. plant has doubled in size this year.

Mine taste great, has a sweet tart flavor, tastier than the fruit from the mother plant, maybe because the owner of that plant did not fertilize it in anyway, and it was not in full sunlight like mine is.

• berto
    12 years ago

I grow one in a three gallon pot. It gets water every other day and fish emulsion every other week. Once in a while, it gets some coffee ground. The pot is kept in a very shady area, and It gets only few minutes of morning sun. The plant looks very healthy and it produces lots of berries. The bush stands approximetely three (3) feet tall.

• johnmerr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I have lots of coffee grounds and lots of sun; I think I will look for some seeds and plant a few in my nursery and later in some of my gardens.

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

my little potted miracle fruit is in 50/50 peat moss & perlite, water it once or twice a week with reverse osmosis filtered water & out in full sun with no protection in zone 9. It's put out blooms like crazy for the first time this year and so far, only ONE berry. All lateral growth, no vertical...

{{gwi:1335056}}

Tim

• redfoot
    12 years ago

I've got 4 growing in 7 gal containers with a peat moss / perlite mix. I add a little sulfur a few times a year and keep them in part shade. The bushes are about 30" tall and there's been plenty of berries all summer long. I have about 15 seedlings growing now too as the seeds are simple to grow.