Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtees_garden

My new Coconut Cream!

rtees_garden
12 years ago

I'm still new here, but I just had to announce the latest addition to my rapidly growing fruit family.

After reading Jacob13's post and all the other discussions surrounding this variety I knew that I just had to have one. So with the assistance of members of the forum I was able to procure this fine specimen. The plant arrived in great shape and is over 5 feet tall.

One question for the mango experts, should I prune it back now, or would it be all right to wait until the spring flush in case someone in southern CA wants a piece of scion wood (provided of course that the variety is not patented-is it?).

[IMG]http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j479/RichardTphoto/P1000564.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers,

Richard

Comments (9)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

geez Richard, that's a very plain looking back yard, not enough blocks...it's beautiful, the mango too :)

posting pictures

Tim

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Richard

Beautiful tree! I would not prune it. I would wait till spring better yet leave it alone and plant it late Jan. during a warm spell. Grafted mango trees do not grow to monster size in Socal so I would just let it branch by itself.

JF

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Nice backyard. Your coco cream will be happy in its new home :-).

Jeff

• rtees_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the comments, I am quite excited about this tree.

Tim,
    The blocks were from the previous owner and everyone always says that the back yard looks like Mayan ruins ;-) On the plus side, it turned a useless slope into a good draining set of terraces that can take around 20 fruit trees! When we bought the place last year, my wife said "what a pretty yard, but what will we do with all those terraces?" Little did she know...
    Also, thanks for the tip about picture posting I thought I used the photobucket "IMG code" last time I posted but I guess not. Anyway, here it is again.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I would prune it back but wait till Spring. I know trees in SoCal have a tendency to not grow "large" but from what I have seen I suspect that the Coco Cream will want to get large. Since your specimen is already on the taller side with no branching, I think you would be better off introducing the tree to Mr. Pruners. If it were mine, I would whack it way back and let it branch at a much lower height, say 3 feet or so. Then you could start with a good pugging regiment to keep it as much as a mango bush as possible.

Rob

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

nice tree and yard, looks like you have some nice specimens in the background.

• berto
    12 years ago

There we go again! Yesterday, I went to the Bonita Springs Tropical Fruit Club's tree sale. My friend Steve Cucura was selling fruit trees and he says to me "Berto you have to have a coconut cream mango tree. I will trade one with you for three jars of your homemade jellies/jams. Sure, why not, I replied". Afterwards, I thought to myself. Do I need another mango tree? I have ten (10) mango trees planted and one (1) kuini (mangifera odorata). Am I the one only "hooked" on this fascinating hobby of collecting tropical fruit trees? I don't think so!!!ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Berto:

That's ridiculous.......10 mango trees planted and you still want more. Gee....you are really pushing the envelope....that's way over the top. You should seek professional help immediately! Control yourself, get a handle before its too late.

Harry

• berto
    12 years ago

ahahahahahaahahahahahahah!
    Harry, thank you for your support! By the way, when are we going to create a group called "Mango Anonymous, aka M.A.?" Hi, my name is Berto and I am addicted to collecting mango trees. Harry, you will get my vote to be the leading person of this fantastic group of people!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!